lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
kinglake
Not Yet Wild

Default New to me 98' TXT with Alltrax DCX400 - Solenoid/Resistor question

Was given a 98' TXT that recently stopped working according to the previous owner (my FIL). The issue ended up being a battery cable that had corroded to the point it no longer conducted electricity. The corrosion actually held it together though. I put a new cable on and it runs fine now.

In any case, while cleaning it all up, decided to take the cover off the controller to be sure everything was in order and was very surprised to find an Alltrax DCX400 controller. It has a cheap White-Rodger 50amp solenoid had a Curtis circuit board with resistors (I think) connected between the two battery connections. I am assuming this board does the same as the resistor/diode I see mentioned as being necessary.

So my question, since the DCX is the older model Alltrax controller, is there a different version of solenoid I need other than those I see listed on Scottie's site? Same question re the resistor/diode.

Lastly, there are 4awg cables from the battery to controller and then to motor and 6 elsewhere. I will upgrade the 6 awg but should I go to 4 to match or replace all?

Thanks
kinglake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to me 98' TXT with Alltrax DCX400 - Solenoid/Resistor question

The WR solenoid will be okay if it is rated for the controller properly. Same with the old resistor board, that works on this cart. There will be no benefit in replacing these items if they are in good condition.
The cable should all be the bigger 4g size. Likely the 6g is original equipment. It's time for a change.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
kinglake
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottie.

When you say rated for the controller properly, how do I confirm that. Model number is 70-120224-2 with a continuous contact rating of 50 amps and max inrush of 200. Is that sufficient for the 400amp controller?
kinglake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That a little light. Alltrax calls for a 200 amp solenoid with an 800 peak. Something more like a SW180 would be better suited. You might also want to cut the controller cover in half and discard the lower half for component cooling. Keep the top half for splash protection.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO