lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Icky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default more speed and torque

I have a 2012 48v Precedent, stock motor and controller. It is set to speed code 4. I would like a little more speed and more torque for uphill runs as I frequently have passengers. How can I go about this for a reasonable cost? Any suggestions are helpful.
Icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: more speed and torque

If your looking to increase torque as well as speed you have to start with the delivery system, that being the controller, relay and cabling. No matter if you go with an Altrax or Curtis you need to replace the 250 amp controller with the likes of a 500 amp controller. Plus depending on how much your willing to speed you should also plan on replacing the motor too... It all depends on how much money your willing to spend....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Icky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, I can JUST replace the controller? What will happen to motor life? I'm sure the batteries will run down quicker. Do you suggest one the "on the fly"types?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How big are your hills, and how fast do you wanna go up them? Does your cart have a lift kit? Bigger than stock tires? If not now, are either of those planned for future upgrades?

With an Alltrax XCT 400 you can convince a little more speed and quite a bit more torque out of the stock motor.
A 500 amp controller would work just as well to power the stock motor, but you will have to limit it to about 400 amps to avoid cooking it. If you decide to upgrade to a high torque motor, you'll need the extra power that the 500 can deliver.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What about increasing cable size from 6 to 2? I’m looking for literally just the slightest increase in torque... i have enough speed for my neighborhood with factory setup.
Cart is Yamaha G29 48v with 6” lift and 23” tires.... I’m sure it needs bigger controller etc but it does good for what i need, just looking to scratch out a little more torque.
What are your recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
What about increasing cable size from 6 to 2? I’m looking for literally just the slightest increase in torque... i have enough speed for my neighborhood with factory setup.
Cart is Yamaha G29 48v with 6” lift and 23” tires.... I’m sure it needs bigger controller etc but it does good for what i need, just looking to scratch out a little more torque.
What are your recommendations?

Might help a tiny smidge, but the bottleneck is the controller. It will definitly not hurt to have better cables, and you'll need bigger cables in the long run anyway.
Controller ultimately determines how much current (amps) the motor gets, and current is what pulls you up the hill. The stock 6ga wires will handle the 250 or so amps that the stock controller can deliver. Running bigger tires, a bigger controller and upgraded solenoid is what will make the difference you want. Battery and motor cables should be upgraded as well, so put some new bigger cables on it for now, and plan on getting a better controller.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

New controller. Only right answer here for what you’re wanting.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
New controller. Only right answer here for what you’re wanting.

Well ****.... i want to buy a controller, just being cheap as i don’t want to spend $500 on controller

davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
mb889
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Best $500 I’ve spent. You won’t regret it. The only problem I have now, is that I want more speed and torque. Call Dave (Revolution Golf Cars). Most honest guy I’ve purchased from by far.
mb889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Icky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
How big are your hills, and how fast do you wanna go up them? Does your cart have a lift kit? Bigger than stock tires? If not now, are either of those planned for future upgrades?

With an Alltrax XCT 400 you can convince a little more speed and quite a bit more torque out of the stock motor.
A 500 amp controller would work just as well to power the stock motor, but you will have to limit it to about 400 amps to avoid cooking it. If you decide to upgrade to a high torque motor, you'll need the extra power that the 500 can deliver.
The hills aren't real big, no lift kit and my tires are bigger than stock. I am not going to lift it, I have a back seat and heavy duty rear leaf springs. I am really fine with the speed but if I got a couple mph extra, ok. What I really want is a little more oomph up the hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car