lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
KEB1786
Not Yet Wild

Default Newb- help me build my cart - 2011 EZGO 48TXT

Long time reader (2 months of thread browsing and searching) but first post. I bought what I think was a good deal for a 2011 EZGO TXT48 (is it called txt48 or a PDS?). It goes around 19mph with one person per my speedometer app. It has the back seat and I think is the stock height and tires. My questions are what are the first things I should do/ what is the beat lift/tire combo for speed without losing a ton of torque? What I’m thinking is:
1) Digital voltage meter from ScottyB with the 3 hole plate
2) I’m most torn between a 2inch mid rise lift with 20 inch tires OR a 5inch drop axle lift with 22 inch tires.
This is my main question of what is the best combo for speed and torque. Cart will almost 99% be used to drive around the neighborhood and to the pool on a 25mph road. I would like to get as close to that speed as possible.

I know all about the ScottyB controller/solonoid/cables upgrade, but I don’t want to spend that much right away until I decide if I really need it. Not sure if this effects the opinions on lift/ tire combo.
I appreciate any opinions and any other easy “necessary” first upgrade ideas.
KEB1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newb- help me build my cart - 2011 EZGO 48TXT

It is called a TXT48. A stock PDS is 36V.

The stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) limits the motor to 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires, about 21MPH on 20" tall tires with a 10% torque loss and about 23MPH on 22" tall tires with a 18% torque loss.

Without RPM limiting by the stock controller, the stock TXT48 motor will spin at about 5600RPM with a 48V battery pack, which is 24MPH on 18" tires, 27MPH on 20" tires and almost 30MPH on 22" tires. Of course, the added weight of a rear seat and more pax will drag those speeds down some.

No lift is needed for tires up to about 20" tall, so go with 20" or less tire height and get an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) with the money not spent on the lift.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
KEB1786
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It is called a TXT48. A stock PDS is 36V.

The stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) limits the motor to 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires, about 21MPH on 20" tall tires with a 10% torque loss and about 23MPH on 22" tall tires with a 18% torque loss.

Without RPM limiting by the stock controller, the stock TXT48 motor will spin at about 5600RPM with a 48V battery pack, which is 24MPH on 18" tires, 27MPH on 20" tires and almost 30MPH on 22" tires. Of course, the added weight of a rear seat and more pax will drag those speeds down some.

No lift is needed for tires up to about 20" tall, so go with 20" or less tire height and get an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) with the money not spent on the lift.
If I stayed at 20 inch tires I think I would still get the 2" lift because I think the rear needs the HD leafs anyway (around $100), so the extra $100 to get an upgraded front is fine with me.
I was looking at my cart over the weekend and I think the dealer put the lights in by tapping into the batteries instead of a reducer. (The light switch is next to the charging port, and is a pull out switch). If I don't plan to use the lights much bc it is technically illegal in SC, is not having it hooked up to a reducer going to harm the batteries?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Depends on how it was wired. Some of the new light kits can connect to the pack voltage. Are yours led?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
KEB1786
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Depends on how it was wired. Some of the new light kits can connect to the pack voltage. Are yours led?
No they are halogen and probably came with the cart when purchased in 2011. It looks like the front are connected to one battery and the backs hooked into another.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not through 1 switch. They are probably getting 16 plus volts and I am surprised they have lasted this long. Trace the wires for that power circuit and to which batteries the wires go to and we can tell you.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the addiction!

If it were me I'd get the 20" tires first and see how that works for your ride height. HD springs will add some height but is generally not considered a lift per-se. If your springs are fine, then you may see 3/4 or 1 inch lift. If your springs are shot (like mine were) with flat or reverse curvature you will see a lot more of an increase in ride height.

The Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 that JohnnieB mentioned is the way to go. I don't know how long the stock solenoid would last at max amps, but you can turn down the max amps while still turning up the max RPM. The Alltrax offers LOTS of tweaking and will get you the speed you want on 20" tires. Someone else here can give you better advice on what amp setting you can use to let your stock solenoid live a long happy life if that is really a concern. I have the baby version, Alltrax XCT48300 and still run the stock solenoid with no issue.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Not through 1 switch. They are probably getting 16 plus volts and I am surprised they have lasted this long. Trace the wires for that power circuit and to which batteries the wires go to and we can tell you.
If it is a DPDT or DPST switch that would allow one switch to control two independent circuits with different batteries. But the lights would be rather dim. But being sure comes down to what you said, a good trace of the wires.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, scottyb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO