lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Onward - Squeak killing method that worked for me

My factory lifted Onward was driving me crazy with top squeaks (long top) and driver's side rear suspension squeak that I couldn't pinpoint.

Took a lot of time, but the bottom line is that for the rear suspension, it wasn't the bushings in the rear double leaf drop shackle bracket that seems to usually be the culprit. Took that all apart and greased everything nicely (bushings were urethane, and perfect since the cart is nearly new) and put it back together. Squeaks were still the same.

Turns out it is the "panhard rod" bushing or what I'd call a sway bar in the rear. In my case the one on the driver's side.

Was afraid to take that bolt out, as it was really tight, and didn't know if there might be lateral tension on it and I may have difficulty getting the bolt back in, so I couldn't do what I did with the leaf bushings, but was able to bathe the whole thing in some light oil, with the bolt mostly out, and put it back together.

Squeak finally gone!!

So the oil may not be a really long term fix, but I know where the noise is coming from and can find out a little more about any issues with taking that bolt out / tension etc... so I can grease it if the noise comes back.

The bushing on the other side makes no noise.

Regarding the top:

I took out the bolts holding the uprights to the top frame one corner at a time. I temporarily supported the frame corner with a 2x4, and wiped clean (already was pretty much) both the upright and top frame mating surfaces. I then put vinyl / nylon "v-strip" weatherstripping pieces cut to size along the length of the mating surfaces (you don't see it - it's between the top frame and support). This stuff is probably .3mm thick maybe, and slick white plastic with super thin adhesive with peel away backing on 1/2 of the width, which is 1" total - perfect for this application.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...13WH/100113501

So I'm using it not folded into a "V", but flat, so it is about an inch tall, and using the adhesive to hold in place while I line up and reassemble the top.

Punched out holes in the thin vinyl strip where the bolts would go back through, then reassembled each corner one at a time, but using nylon washers against the metal on both the top frame and upright frame sides, with a SS washer over top of the nylon and against the lock nut. Only a thick nylon washer on the top frame side - no ss washer.

Zero squeaks. I really didn't think it would work so well, but I hoped it would improve it a lot. It didn't just improve it - it eliminated all that squeaking and creaking from the top completely. I'm sure I could make it squeak but I haven't heard a single one yet, and it was almost constant before from one place or another with any little road imperfection.

Now I don't know how long it will last, but I'm optimistic because I don't think there is a lot to go wrong or wear out with it.

I considered lightly greasing the mating surfaces of upright and top frame until I had the idea of using the weatherstrip material, so that could also work, along with the nylon washers. I'll say I also had previously wedged some thin foam tape between the plastic top and the top of the aluminum frame where it was vibrating, so that solved that part of it, but upright to frame mounting squeaks were still driving me crazy.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along what worked for me.

Very happy with the outcome on both problem areas - so far anyway...
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Onward - Squeak killing method that worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
My factory lifted Onward was driving me crazy with top squeaks (long top) and driver's side rear suspension squeak that I couldn't pinpoint.

Took a lot of time, but the bottom line is that for the rear suspension, it wasn't the bushings in the rear double leaf drop shackle bracket that seems to usually be the culprit. Took that all apart and greased everything nicely (bushings were urethane, and perfect since the cart is nearly new) and put it back together. Squeaks were still the same.

Turns out it is the "panhard rod" bushing or what I'd call a sway bar in the rear. In my case the one on the driver's side.

Was afraid to take that bolt out, as it was really tight, and didn't know if there might be lateral tension on it and I may have difficulty getting the bolt back in, so I couldn't do what I did with the leaf bushings, but was able to bathe the whole thing in some light oil, with the bolt mostly out, and put it back together.

Squeak finally gone!!

So the oil may not be a really long term fix, but I know where the noise is coming from and can find out a little more about any issues with taking that bolt out / tension etc... so I can grease it if the noise comes back.

The bushing on the other side makes no noise.

Regarding the top:

I took out the bolts holding the uprights to the top frame one corner at a time. I temporarily supported the frame corner with a 2x4, and wiped clean (already was pretty much) both the upright and top frame mating surfaces. I then put vinyl / nylon "v-strip" weatherstripping pieces cut to size along the length of the mating surfaces (you don't see it - it's between the top frame and support). This stuff is probably .3mm thick maybe, and slick white plastic with super thin adhesive with peel away backing on 1/2 of the width, which is 1" total - perfect for this application.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...13WH/100113501

So I'm using it not folded into a "V", but flat, so it is about an inch tall, and using the adhesive to hold in place while I line up and reassemble the top.

Punched out holes in the thin vinyl strip where the bolts would go back through, then reassembled each corner one at a time, but using nylon washers against the metal on both the top frame and upright frame sides, with a SS washer over top of the nylon and against the lock nut. Only a thick nylon washer on the top frame side - no ss washer.

Zero squeaks. I really didn't think it would work so well, but I hoped it would improve it a lot. It didn't just improve it - it eliminated all that squeaking and creaking from the top completely. I'm sure I could make it squeak but I haven't heard a single one yet, and it was almost constant before from one place or another with any little road imperfection.

Now I don't know how long it will last, but I'm optimistic because I don't think there is a lot to go wrong or wear out with it.

I considered lightly greasing the mating surfaces of upright and top frame until I had the idea of using the weatherstrip material, so that could also work, along with the nylon washers. I'll say I also had previously wedged some thin foam tape between the plastic top and the top of the aluminum frame where it was vibrating, so that solved that part of it, but upright to frame mounting squeaks were still driving me crazy.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along what worked for me.

Very happy with the outcome on both problem areas - so far anyway...
The tops on the 4 seater onwards are doubletake tops. They are known to have this issue. Doubletake sells them with "anti squeak" hardware. It's pretty much a pack of rubber washers that go between the top mount and the roof struts. I've had a ton of neighbors complain about this same issue. As for the rear suspension that's a new one to me.

I'm glad you have regained your sanity!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

So this is the bushing / pin that was squeaking. Diagram shows a gas engine, but this part is the same for electric.

onward panhard.jpg
Old 11-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
The tops on the 4 seater onwards are doubletake tops. They are known to have this issue. Doubletake sells them with "anti squeak" hardware. It's pretty much a pack of rubber washers that go between the top mount and the roof struts. I've had a ton of neighbors complain about this same issue. As for the rear suspension that's a new one to me.

I'm glad you have regained your sanity!

Thanks - you'd think, squeaks - so what - but if I wanted squeaks and a bone jarring ride I could've skipped buying a new cart and kept my old one. The Onward front suspension is a big improvement over my TXT's.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Club car really needs to get with times when it comes to rear suspension. Yamaha is light years ahead.

Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
Club car really needs to get with times when it comes to rear suspension. Yamaha is light years ahead.

The major reason I've not thought about replacing my perfect condition TXT that is 19 years old now - all the "New" carts seem to me like they are pretty much straight out of 1995.

Excepting the LiOn models and some LED lights here and there, not much has changed IMHO.

Interestingly, I looked at an ICON model (which I believe is based on / ripped off from a Yamaha) and it seems like probably the most modern of the "big 3" at the moment (not considering LiOn - ICON I think offers it, but the one I saw didn't have that option).

Trouble with them IMO is that parts could be difficult or even impossible (if they don't make it) to get, and aftermarket parts or accessories are non-existent. So is info from places like this forum (how to tame squeaks on your Onward, for example) because nobody has one - at least yet.

Looked like a pretty modern suspension design, 4 wheel disc brakes, AC drive system, 28mph out of the box, looks like top and support system is better, etc...

There is a lot of room for improvement in golf carts IMO - the carts themselves need to catch up to the AC / Lithium technology.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car