lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo dies after coasting

I have a 99 ezgo redone from the ground up. I converted it to 48 volt. Has new Trojan batteries, new 2 gauge wires throughout. I put a new alltrax sr 400amp controller and hd solenoid. Also installed carts unlimited f/r switch system. It has a voltage reducer running a small fan, led lights and a usb charger.

As I drive, I let off the accelerator and at the bottom of the hill, hit the accel pedal and the cart dies. Everything. Load side of the solenoid drops when this happens. Strangely, all my accessories die as well even though they are connected directly to the battery pack. Voltage reducer is key switched. So I took off the alltrax fuse that powers everything and it still happens. Then I unhook the voltage reducer and the same thing happens. All batteries read like new when checked with volt meter.

Any ideas?
Bad solenoid? But why does it kill all the accessories?
Thanks
trippyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo dies after coasting

can you see your controller, there is an led that will flash out status or an error code. you can also download the Alltrax toolkit to access the controller for diagnostics through the USB port using a laptop/pc. you need to access the controller to find out why it is shutting down, also check its low voltage settings, it may be set to high.
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

I thought about the low voltage cutoff. What is an ideal setting for a 48 volt cart?
Old 12-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyork View Post
I thought about the low voltage cutoff. What is an ideal setting for a 48 volt cart?
Alltrax's recommended setting is 38V for a 48V battery pack. (Page 18 of toolkit manual)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

Any idea why everything else is dying? Accessories on the voltage reducer?
Old 12-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The only two things I can think of are:
1. Loosing the 48V battery pack for some reason. Bad connection on a battery terminal somewhere within pack for example.
2. Bad keyswitch or loosing the pack voltage going to the keyswitch would shut down controller and voltage reducer.

You mentioned that Carts Unlimited switch system was installed. By that do you mean their HD F/R switch, or their reversing contactor?

In any case, clip your DVM's test leads to the main terminals of the 48V battery pack and see if 48V disappears when cart is misbehaving.

If it doesn't, connect positive test lead to solenoid's small terminal with the red wires on it. If battery pack voltage disappears when cart won't run, trace the solenoid activation circuit back to its voltage source, originally the reed switch in the charger receptacle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR in TXT - KSI highlighted.jpg (252.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:27 AM   #7
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

I put on a new key switch. When I converted it, I installed a 48 volt ezgo charging receptacle and wired the black to pack negative and the red and the wire with the black box to the pos of the pack. I’m using a new modz charger. It charges like it should. Is the wire with the black box suppose to go somewhere else? The little blue wire is not hooked up to anything as well

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...Y300_QL70_.jpg
Old 03-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyork View Post
1. I put on a new key switch.
2. When I converted it, I installed a 48 volt ezgo charging receptacle and wired the black to pack negative and the red and the wire with the black box to the pos of the pack.
3. I’m using a new modz charger. It charges like it should.
4. Is the wire with the black box suppose to go somewhere else?
5. The little blue wire is not hooked up to anything as well

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...Y300_QL70_.jpg
1. Did the new keyswitch solve the "Ezgo dies after coasting" issue?

2. & 3.

4. The black box is a battery temperature sensor, it is not an electrical connection and can be attached to any battery terminal.

5. The blue wire is from the electronic version of the reed switch in the original charger receptacle. If the cart runs, the reed switch has been bypassed.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

Swapped out the key switch yesterday. Will let you know. Thanks
Old 03-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
trippyork
Not Yet Wild

new key switch did not work.

Here is what happens:
after fully charging, I turn on all accessories (lights and fan) and drive. Usually it doesn't happen til my 48 volt meter drops the top 2 bars.
I have a usb plug with 12 volt meter installed.
As I drive, I can let off the accelerator and i soon as I floor the accelerator, everything shuts off (motor and all accessories). When I let off the accelerator, all accessories come back on. Then if i gas it, the accessories die but the cart won't go. If i turn the key off and back on, everything works fine, until I let of the gas and the same thing happens again.

This is driving me nuts!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO