lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 42v to 48v PDS

Good morning. Currently have a 2003 Pds 36v with admiral b2 and xct500 amp controller. I was running 42v (7 6v) and the increase in power felt great. I was doing 12 mile round trips to the river and back on paved roads and still had 85% pack capacity left. I was going to purchase all new 8v batteries to make 48v but instead of dropping $800 I bought one new 6v to make sure the 48v is worth it. Anywho.... after one trip up my road, I wasn’t thrilled. Pack voltage read 50.6 when I got back, so assuming the 48v pack is working as it should. It was just a one mile sprint up the road. Up the slight incline I was able to hit 18mph but once it flattened out I was hitting 21. Down the same hill, 25-26mph. I have 20” tires.

Should I have changed something in my alltrax toolkit? From everything I read, 48v in my setup should be pretty solid.
wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 42v to 48v PDS

Just did a run with the monitor hooked up..

100% Throttle for 3/4mi up slight hill. Voltage dropped to 44.6 but did not go lower (it actually started to creep back up). Motor RPM did not exceed 4000rpm (I have it set to 6000). Going down the same road, Voltage didnt drop below 46v and rpm only made it to 5100.

Set to 4 pole, Street, and turbo on.
Max armature set to 500amps..

20" at tires pumped up to at least 20psi.

Are these the results I should be seeing?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pack dropping from 50 to 44 volts? That's significant enough to be of concern.
At 44v those rpms are correct. More voltage would net more rpms.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply scottyb. Guess Ill load test each battery and see which ones are the culprit.

What is the mimum Voltage a 6v battery should drop down to under full load? I paid closer attention to the monitor a second time and the pack actually drops down to 37v for a split second, then jumps back up to 44-46v.

Keep in mind, there are 8, 6v, batteries. And me (250lbs).

EDIT:

I just went outside and jacked up my cart. Put the DM on each individual battery while giving some throttle...I didnt notice any significant drops in voltage.

I did however notice that only the passenger side wheel was spinning....is this normal? Also, when let off the throttle, the driver side wheel spins backward while the passenger tire is still spinning forward???????
Old 04-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Testing with the wheels off the ground doesn't draw power like actually running with weight up a hill. Try to check each battery that way, but while actually driving up a hill. That will give you a much more accurate picture of what's going on.
The differential will spin which ever wheel turns most easily, and yes the wheels can run different directions when they are in the air. Normal.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply Meimk...I was using the Alltrax toolkit to observe battery pack while my cart was on the road. I'll have to try and find my pigtail clamps for my DM to test each one while on the road.

** is it normal for the pack voltage to be different in the toolkit vs my digital mulitmeter? I was reading 1v different between the two. The multimeter 1v higher than the toolkit software.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, normal to get 1v difference in readings depending upon where it is taken.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO