lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #11
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v batteries on 48v motor

He’s telling you to put the controller in now with the 36v batteries and motor. It will deliver more amps than the stock controller. Those big tires are demanding amps to turn them. It will at least help some, but not nearly as much as upgrading to 48v.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
He’s telling you to put the controller in now with the 36v batteries and motor. It will deliver more amps than the stock controller. Those big tires are demanding amps to turn them. It will at least help some, but not nearly as much as upgrading to 48v.
I get that. My problem is not turning the tires. It goes 20mph (according to Waze) on flat ground. My problem is the hills in my neighborhood where it drops down to 2 mph. I’m also still trying to confirm if it will just run slow on 36v or destroy the new motor and controller. If it’s just that it will run slower, I’m OK with that if it will get it up the hill. However, I don’t want to burn anything up. If I have the Altrex500 controller set for a 36v motor, but running a 48v FSIP high torque motor, will it be OK for a year or so, or will it tear something up?

I guess I should have just gone with the B2 like Scotty B said since that one says it runs on 36 or 48.
B_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #13
rib33024

Yes you are clear about what you have. But what you have wont work.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #14
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This is what I would do, put in all the new parts except the motor, get it running and see how it does on the hills. Then if you want to try the new motor to see how it performs go for it. Then you could put in 2 more 6v batteries to go to 48v and switch to 8v batteries the next time you need new batteries. Just throwing ideas out there for you to think about.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #15
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
This is what I would do, put in all the new parts except the motor, get it running and see how it does on the hills. Then if you want to try the new motor to see how it performs go for it. Then you could put in 2 more 6v batteries to go to 48v and switch to 8v batteries the next time you need new batteries. Just throwing ideas out there for you to think about.
Thanks. I was planning on just putting everything on until I read one thread on here with mixed answers of what would happen, so I was hoping someone had actually run a 48v motor and a programmable controller with 36v batteries and could tell me what happened. For example, what makes it work on the Admiral B2? Good or bad just looking for an answer to the original question. What happens if I put everything on and run it with 36v? Poor performance compared to 48v, or does it destroy something?
Old 05-03-2020, 02:08 AM   #16
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don’t know what happens to that 48v motor if it’s ran on 36v. What I meant by saying turning those tires was producing torque. Lack of torque is what is killing you uphill. Those big tires are much harder to turn. The increased amperage deliverable from the new controller would help that. How much? Someone else has to answer. Again, the size of those tires is killing the torque and helping the speed.

You might as well install the new controller and see how much it helps.
Sell the 6v’s to recoup some funds towards a 48v pack?
Put some smaller tires on it for now?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #17
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I don’t know what happens to that 48v motor if it’s ran on 36v. What I meant by saying turning those tires was producing torque. Lack of torque is what is killing you uphill. Those big tires are much harder to turn. The increased amperage deliverable from the new controller would help that. How much? Someone else has to answer. Again, the size of those tires is killing the torque and helping the speed.

You might as well install the new controller and see how much it helps.
Sell the 6v’s to recoup some funds towards a 48v pack?
Put some smaller tires on it for now?
Understood. That’s why I went with the torque motor. Hopefully I can make enough selling the old stuff to cover some of it. Might see what it would cost to return the FSIP for the B2. That may be the cheapest solution of all.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
rib33024

Your 48 volt torque motor is wanting to see 51+ volt after a full charge when you step on the go pedal. A 48 volt cart get recharged at 48 volts. Now running a 48 volt motor on 36 volts. It starts off at 38 volts and goes down from there. So your 48 volt motor is starting off 13 volts under what it should be running on. It will not have the volts to give the motor what it needs running on 36 volts. Now the 48 volt motor will run on 36 volts. But it will be slow and will not have the power/torque it should . And if run on 36 volt long enough it will burn up the brushes and the motor will run hot because it is asking for more amps running on a lower voltage. And yes I have actually done this 10 years ago that's how I know it wont work for what you want it to do
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
B_Mo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
your 48 volt torque motor is wanting to see 51+ volt after a full charge when you step on the go pedal. A 48 volt cart get recharged at 48 volts. Now running a 48 volt motor on 36 volts. It starts off at 38 volts and goes down from there. So your 48 volt motor is starting off 13 volts under what it should be running on. It will not have the volts to give the motor what it needs running on 36 volts. Now the 48 volt motor will run on 36 volts. But it will be slow and will not have the power/torque that it should . And if run on 36 volt long enough it will burn up the brushes and the motor will run hot because it is asking for more amps running on a lower voltage. And yes I have actually done this 10 years ago that's how I know it wont work for what you want it to do
Ok. Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear, but it makes sense
Old 05-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #20
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think what RIB is trying to say is that you can go ahead and put everything in except for the 48V motor. Wait on installing the motor until you can get new batteries and charger. The Alltrax, solenoid, and cables will improve the performance even with 36V batteries. Might as well get some work done now.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO