lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 15a key switch fuse keeps blowing

Today I was prepping a cart for a future sub/amp install and added a relay and push button switch off the 12+ of the already in place reducer. Put the cart all back together and heard a pop when I turned the key! The 15a fuse between the run/tow and key switch blew (pic of area attached. Black box not yellow tube). Put in a new 15a fuse, blew when I turned the key. Put in a 20a for kicks, blew when I turned the key. Any idea what is suddenly causing this??
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 15a key switch fuse keeps blowing

Something you did must be causing a direct short.

Can you draw a diagram of where you put the switch and the relay? I need to understand what you were doing with the switch and the relay.

Is your reducer a five-wire reducer (i.e. it has a trigger wire attached to the key) or is it a four-wire reducer that is on all the time?

According to the wiring diagram that fuse is between the run/tow and the forward/reverse (not the key switch). Is that right?
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the quick reply! Attached is a diagram of how the new parts are wired.

Also in the first wiring diagram if you follow the red wire from the 15a fuse that keeps popping it becomes a lime green wire and then goes to plug 7. If you go to the next page plug 7 becomes red and then becomes forest green and goes to the key switch. Unless I’m reading that wrong?

Should also mention nothing was added or changed on the 48v side of the reducer
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 27BD19FD-1625-4177-AB20-8DB41887A5EB.jpeg (260.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

*fixed*

Ended up removing the ground splice I did to the other switches and running a dedicated ground wire all the way to pack negative and now it works perfect. Must have created some kind of grounding loop!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well done.

It's always a great feeling when you sort out a problem like that.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJones8 View Post
*fixed*

Ended up removing the ground splice I did to the other switches and running a dedicated ground wire all the way to pack negative and now it works perfect. Must have created some kind of grounding loop!
Looking at your diagram I would say you're right in your assessment. It is always a good idea to keep the 12V circuit and the 48V circuit separate (consider them as two completely different circuits that happen to sit on the same cart).

Tags
15amp, amp, fuse, key switch, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car