lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Jtallo
Not Yet Wild

Default Another PDS in "limp mode"

Hello gentleman, I'm having what seems to be a common problem with my recently purchased 2002 EZGO PDS electric cart. This may be a long post but bare with me. So, about a month ago i took my perfectly running cart out for a ride, swung by the house to grab a cold beer. Got back in the cart and went to take off and Boom! it wouldn't go no more than 3 mph, maybe slower. Since then i have installed brand new batteries, brand new speed sensor and magnet, ran the dionogistics and got the 3-2 welded solenoid code, replaced the solenoid, still running slow. Did the key trick turning it off and back on quickly for the first time yesterday and it ran normal for the first time in about a month. The kicker is, a few days ago i noticed that the red wire that runs from the solenoid to the J1 connector, pin# 5 both male and female pins are melted. Anybody have an idea of what could cause that? i'm pretty sure my controller is bad so im going to replace it but don't want what caused those pins to blow to happen again and damage or blow a brand new controller. Current controller is a curtis 1206mx and i cut the red wire just behind what was left of the pin to try and find a replacement locally (no luck) so the solenoid isn't completely hooked up but still clicks and cart still moves slow. I was told the cart should not move with that wire cut. Is that true? If so i'm guessing the controller is fried. I installed another new solenoid yesterday with that red wire already being cut it still clicks and there is no change in the carts performance. any advice is appreciated. Thank you, and sorry for the long post.
Jtallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another PDS in "limp mode"

J1 Pin-5 is called Auxiliary power and is used to pre-charge the filter capacitors inside the controller and there are amps flowing through it whenever the Run//Tow switch is in Run, so the various crimped on ring terminals and contacts in the molex plug/jack will over heat when they get corroded.

If the voltage variance between J1 Pin-5 and the B+ terminal is greater than about 5V, you get the 3-2 error code and the cart will only run in a limp mode.

-----------
Bad filter capacitors or MOSFETs inside the controller will also cause more amps to flow through j1 Pin-5 and over her the connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Jtallo
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, any suggestions on how to fix it? Or is is the controller shot.
Jtallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtallo View Post
JohnnieB, any suggestions on how to fix it? Or is is the controller shot.
No way to tell if the controller is good or bad until you get the proper voltages on the proper pins, however it is running in limp mode, so that is a good sign that the controller might be okay.

Connect battery pack voltage to J1 Pin-5 at the controller side of the connection and see what happens.

Attached is a schematic for a PDS cart with highlighted wires & connections that need battery pack voltage on them for solenoid activation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis controller, ezgo, its-logic switch, pds, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO