lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Screamin Chickn
Not Yet Wild

Default 07 Precedent Jerky and May or May not go

I have an 07 CC Precedent 48v cart, mostly stock with a speed code 5 torque tune, speed magnet, 2 gauge cables, new batts, a lift, and 22” tires. I use this to goof off on my property and mostly to drive around our neighborhood. While out yesterday, it started surging badly, totally stopping sometimes, going slowly then taking off at normal speed for a few seconds, then back to surging. It sounded like some grinding was going on as well. Made it home to troubleshoot and had the front tire up against a pole and gave it a little throttle and it buckled and carried on, still sounded like a little grinding. Motor was hot as were the cables Jacked it up and the wheel was hard to spin sometimes and other freely rotated. Pulled the wheels and one drum was a booger to get off, other one came off fine. Brakes were apparently dragging on one side. Both axles spin very freely using two fingers. While under the cart I noticed the speed sensor at the end of the motor was warped looking, so I pulled it to inspect. The motor must have gotten hot enough to warp the housing and it was all gouged up inside. I ordered a new one and will replace. My understanding is that the cart should still go without the speed sensor, just slowly. What it’s found, on stands with no wheels and no drums, is that it doesn’t go at all with full throttle in F or R unless you spin the axle a few times. It doesn’t always take off, but many times it will start turning the axles quickly, but it will go very slow, then speed way up, the almost stop, speed up, maybe spin back up, or it might stop completely while the throttle is fully depressed. Motor isn’t heating up much at all.

At this point I do not know if the grinding was just the brakes being too tight or the magnet in the speed sensor dragging on the housing, or if there is something hoses in the transaxle. I had originally resigned myself to dropping out the entire transaxle today to disassemble and see what the grinding noise was, but I’m hesitant to do that because of all of the variables. Any thoughts on what would make the throttle so erratic? Could the speed sensor actually do that? I have pedal assembly 1 and have never replaced the MCOR, so I could order an MCOR 2, but I would rather troubleshoot this further if I can. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Screamin Chickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 07 Precedent Jerky and May or May not go

Sounds like your motor brushes are worn to the nub. Put cart in Tow, remove main battery negative cable and then the positive cable. Remove motor and send it to plumb quick for a bandit upgrade, or take it to a local motor shop.

Welcome to bgw
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 surging grinding
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car