lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
Trevmft
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy 1996 Club Car DS brake exchange and now drum won’t fit

Hello. Long time reader and first time poster here. I just bought a 96 Club Car DS and had some braking problems so I switched out the pads. It has the self tensioning screw which was a little different than from what the videos I saw on the process. However after I replaced the pads and new tensioning springs and clips, I cannot get the drum back on. It appears to be a few millimeters too small. Anyone else have these types of issues? I don’t believe the pads had ever been changed before so the old ones were WELL worn down. I just ordered new drums just in case but wanted to see if anyone else has trouble shot this before.
Trevmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 Club Car DS brake exchange and now drum won’t fit

The shoes, or pads are different from front to back. You should have a leading and trailing shoe. Most have marks L. and. T. Check that out.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
Trevmft
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. Yes I triple checked to make sure the shoes were installed with the 17 T showing. I wonder if by some chance the shoes are manufactured slightly too thick. I ordered another drum From the same manufacturer of the shoes to install to see if by some chance it’s an issue with the Original drum.
Trevmft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you put the shoes back on the same way the old ones came off?
Been a while since I had to replace a set, but I'm pretty sure the L shoe goes on the rear, and the T shoe goes on the front.
And did you back off the adjuster all the way right? The older ones have the screw type adjuster that you adjust on the back of the backing plate. Turn it in to tighten, out to loosen.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
The1BigJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmft View Post
Hello. Long time reader and first time poster here. I just bought a 96 Club Car DS and had some braking problems so I switched out the pads. It has the self tensioning screw which was a little different than from what the videos I saw on the process. However after I replaced the pads and new tensioning springs and clips, I cannot get the drum back on. It appears to be a few millimeters too small. Anyone else have these types of issues? I don’t believe the pads had ever been changed before so the old ones were WELL worn down. I just ordered new drums just in case but wanted to see if anyone else has trouble shot this before.
What was the solution to get the drum to fit? I have the same model and I'm having the same issue. I have the shoes installed so that the "T" is visible on the passenger and the "L" is visible on the driver's side. I sanded everything and the adjuster is barely one thread from bottoming out. but the wheel will not turn if I force the drum on. Seems silly to take new drums to get turned.

Thoughts anyone?
The1BigJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Nicko773
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmft View Post
Did you back the self adjustment all the way back down before installing? Like the other posters said there are two different shoes that go on each side.
Nicko773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Somethings not right, cuz even after the drum goes on, youll still need to adjust the self adjuster some for proper adjustment.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the same issue one time. Tried to save some money and got a set of shoes that were not OEM. The drum would not go on. Pulled them off and put them in the trash. Ordered OEM set from one of your site sponsors. Lesson learned.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
The1BigJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
I had the same issue one time. Tried to save some money and got a set of shoes that were not OEM. The drum would not go on. Pulled them off and put them in the trash. Ordered OEM set from one of your site sponsors. Lesson learned.
That's what I'm afraid of. I believe they're 10L10L shoes and drums but I don't recall. I got them off ebay. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:08 PM   #10
The1BigJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the feedback. I have the shoes configured per my original post. This is based on what I read in the forums. If someone has a diagram of the L, T configuration it would be helpful but otherwise, I'm going to chalk this up to cheap parts.

Tags
96 ds, brakes
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car