lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
shibby
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 Ezgo shuts off after 30min of driving

Thanks I will try to remove the Diode. What type of Diode is needed for replacement? Also I checked the Pedal box and everything looks good and is connected nice and tight. I removed the Diode looks like the only thing the melted part was touching was a nut it did not seem to be touching the can of the solenoid. But I will take it on a spin soon and see if I can get it to overheat.
shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
shibby
Not Yet Wild

I took the Diode off and took it for a spin it still stopped running after about 15min and got no solenoid click after sitting for about a min it started up again. The temperature at the M- connections and all the connections on the controller were about 94 degrees. The solenoid was about 125 and was pretty hot.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since the solenoid doesn't click when the cart shuts down, the controller has be crossed off the list of suspects.

The problem is in a circuit consisting of several switches connected in series by several lengths of wire to the solenoid coil. Could be excessive resistance in the connections getting hot and breaking contact.

Try disconnecting, spray cleaning and reconnecting the wires on MS-2, keyswitch, pedal switch and the in-line connector, which is visible in the pictures you posted.

Also I noticed, the Blue and Red wires on MS-2 are reversed. The red wire coming from the reed switch bypass should connect to the same terminal the jumper wire to MS-4 is on. Probably doesn't matter much since MS-2 is closed in either F or R.

BTW: The part number on your solenoid (27855G01) is for a stock EZGO solenoid rather than HD.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
shibby
Not Yet Wild

What type of cleaner do I spray on the connectors to clean them? Also I will switch those wires on the forward reverse switch. Is that solenoid not strung enough for the 350 amp controller should I upgrade it to a better one and if so which one do you recommend. Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Electrical contact cleaner. WalMart or auto parts store should have it.

The stock solenoid is only rated at about 85A continuous. A SW180 (200A) would probably do the trick. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html

If you suspect you might upgrade to a 48V battery pack in the future, go with the MZJ400, it run at 36V as well as 48V and anything in between, so there will be one less thing to by when you upgrade.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
shibby
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will try cleaning all the connections and ordering a new solenoid. Definitely not trying to upgrade to a 48v just trying to make this one work. I just take my little kids on rides around the neighborhood. They want to be able to go for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time lol.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
shibby
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned all the connections and switched the blue and red wires on the forward reverse switch and it still died after about 15minutes with no solenoid click I guess my next step is to buy a heavy duty solenoid.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby View Post
I cleaned all the connections and switched the blue and red wires on the forward reverse switch and it still died after about 15minutes with no solenoid click I guess my next step is to buy a heavy duty solenoid.
Take a DVM with you and next time it dies, measure the voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with the red wires on it while the pedal is pushed. If there is no voltage on it, the problem isn't the solenoid.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
shibby
Not Yet Wild

I took my volt meter along with me and when it died I volt metered the small terminals on the solenoid I got about battery pack voltage at the solenoid so that means my solenoid is bad correct? If that’s the case I will be ordering a heavy duty solenoid that you recommend. Is it worth spending the extra money on the mzj400 even if I’m not planning on going with a 48v system or is the sw180 more than enough. Again thank you so much for your help. Also a heavy duty solenoid should be fine with my setup right?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby View Post
I took my volt meter along with me and when it died I volt metered the small terminals on the solenoid I got about battery pack voltage at the solenoid so that means my solenoid is bad correct? If that’s the case I will be ordering a heavy duty solenoid that you recommend. Is it worth spending the extra money on the mzj400 even if I’m not planning on going with a 48v system or is the sw180 more than enough. Again thank you so much for your help. Also a heavy duty solenoid should be fine with my setup right?
The SW180 ought to be sufficient.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO