lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Painting cart seats?

I just picked up a nice ezgo rxv that has beige seats and too. I am thinking about painting the seats with a vinyl paint to black and using herculiner on the roof. Has anyone painted their seats and what do you recommend for a vinyl or fabric paint? Did it hold up? Any thoughts on the herculiner on the roof? I just think it would look so much better with black seats and roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31803493-840B-4913-904C-1FC51A8F6B46.jpg (190.6 KB, 0 views)
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Painting cart seats?

Painting vinyl seats is a huge crap shoot, from past experience with a boat they start cracking as soon as you sit on them. That was a few years ago though. Give it a try and if it fails you can always get seat covers. You can get a set of front seat covers that go over the existing seats for $60-100.

For the top U-Pol Raptor liner is awesome. I used this on my Avalanche body cladding. Prep is key when you paint anything - get the spray gun and adhesion promoter. Herculiner will probably work but I'd use the same prep methods and maybe an adhesion promoter too - not sure which one though.
https://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Uretha...%2C196&sr=8-13

- Dave
Where in MN are you?
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hello-

As someone who used to sell all types of auto and marine paint, including vinyl paint, do NOT use it on your seats. From experience, that stuff is for pieces that get basically no traffic.

New seat covers are pretty cheap, re-wrapping them yourself can be cheaper also.

Good luck!
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dave, I live in Ham Lake MN
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

I have painted a couple of my hunting buggies with whatever kind of black vinyl paint that Walmart sold at the time, and both of them seemed to work ok. But I gotta admit my standards are pretty low for such things.

I kept the paint and occasionally touched them up if it when it started wearing off on the edges.
coosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Dave, I live in Ham Lake MN
Straight south - Lakeville MN.
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I used some by Colorbond and it held up OK. To be honest though, after spending the money on the dye/paint, adhesion promoter, cleaner and such, I could have bought new covers. I was intimidated by the cover idea at first, but now after having done a few, realize how easy it is. I did purchase an electric staple gun which made the job much easier.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

I painted my seat (back and bottom) as well as the roof of my cart 3 years ago with Dupli-color vinyl spray paint from Auto zone. It still looks brand new except where a tree branch scraped the roof. I use my cart everyday to golf.
Durability is all in the prep work for any type of painting. (I painted cars for almost 20years)
Take off anything that is not getting painted ie the side handles and back of the seat.
Clean/scuff all surfaces that are going to be painted with a red scuff pad and little Dawn dish soap and water. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and a clean red scuff pad.
Once everything is completely dry take another clean scuff pad and wipe everything down lightly with lacquer thinner, once the thinner evaporates your ready to paint,(the thinner opens the pores in the vinyl and helps the paint adhere) make sure to use light coats of paint with plenty of flash time between coats until your happy with the coverage. Do not apply the paint in heavy coats.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO