lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lifted Ezgo with 400 Alltrax DCX

Hey guys,
I installed a 6” lift with 22” tires on my EZGO DCS 98 36v cart over the weekend. It has the 400 Alltrax DCX controller in it, which from everything I read before purchase said it would be good with 22” tires. We took it out for the first time yesterday and it did alright on long hills. It wasn’t flying by any means but kept moving which is fine. The problem I have is while moving slowing and trying to go up some little short hills it would completely stop and not move, no tire spinning nothing. It was still getting power but just didn’t have enough power to move itself up the little hill. So I had to reverse and get a little momentum. I’m thinking that’s maybe not right but idk. I was wondering if there is something I can adjust on the controller to increase the torque? I am good with losing a little speed if I can increase it but I am not sure what setting if any I need to look at and try to adjust. Is there anyone that might know about that?
Thanks,
jchcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Lifted Ezgo with 400 Alltrax DCX

How low does your battery pack voltage drop when on those hills. This is During, not before, not after, not sitting in the garage (before or after charge). I only need readings during your trip up the hill that causes the problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
How low does your battery pack voltage drop when on those hills. This is During, not before, not after, not sitting in the garage (before or after charge). I only need readings during your trip up the hill that causes the problem.
We were out in the woods and I did not have a volt meter with me. I can check it the next time and see what it is reading during the event. I know the electric carts are heavy but they typically have enough power for a tire to spin in dirt or gravel don’t they? The batteries are about 5 months old also if that matters at all.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
bbbdale
Gone Wild

I’ve been stuck on hills before because my controller got hot and went into “limp mode”. After a few minutes of cooling down we were in our way again.

A fan might help. But these Electric carts get hot when pushed.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: Lifted Ezgo with 400 Alltrax DCX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbdale View Post
I’ve been stuck on hills before because my controller got hot and went into “limp mode”. After a few minutes of cooling down we were in our way again.

A fan might help. But these Electric carts get hot when pushed.
It doesn’t sound like the controller went into thermal shutdown, though maybe it was close. It sounds like it just doesn’t have enough power, which is why cgtech wants the pack voltage.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
It doesn’t sound like the controller went into thermal shutdown, though maybe it was close. It sounds like it just doesn’t have enough power, which is why cgtech wants the pack voltage.
Yea it kept going just fine afterwards, just didn’t have the power to make it up the little incline at that low speed. Anyone know what I should have the throttle curve set to or does that make much of a difference? Think it’s on progressive now but didn’t know if any others would be better? I can’t seem to find the description anywhere of what those throttle curve setting are..
Old 11-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
binder49
Gone Wild

Did you upgrade the cables to 2 gauge to make use of the extra amps from the controller. I upgraded ALL of my cables on my Medalist. That made a huge difference. I have 20 inch tires and a lift kit. I can take take off from a dead stop on all hill with no trouble.
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder49 View Post
Did you upgrade the cables to 2 gauge to make use of the extra amps from the controller. I upgraded ALL of my cables on my Medalist. That made a huge difference. I have 20 inch tires and a lift kit. I can take take off from a dead stop on all hill with no trouble.
I’ve got 4 gauge wires that I upgraded to when I did the controller, that was the size the people I bought it from recommended (idk if that was right). I ended up getting it a couple years back when Scotty was sold out so had to order from them be4 the wife needed the money for something else... haha. Do you know what your throttle up is set on? I reached out to Alltrax to try and see what I needed everything set on to gain the most low end torque. They basically said I could set it anywhere from 1-15 with 15 being the most torque with the throttle graph set to linear. Not sure if I move it up to 10 +. I think I’m set to like 6 or 7 with aggressive throttle response setting right now. Just looking for some insight on the settings really. I don’t think there’s an actual problem with the cart just that it doesn’t have the low end I figured it would especially on loose ground
Old 11-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get a digital battery meter and stick it on the dash. If the battery pack voltage is dropping significantly 6-7 volts or more you are in serious danger of cooking the motor.
The lower the voltage goes the higher the amperage draw goes. The motor can't convert all that amperage into motion so it turns it into heat the tat melts the motor pronto. So be careful and get that meter so you can answer gctech's question.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Get a digital battery meter and stick it on the dash. If the battery pack voltage is dropping significantly 6-7 volts or more you are in serious danger of cooking the motor.
The lower the voltage goes the higher the amperage draw goes. The motor can't convert all that amperage into motion so it turns it into heat the tat melts the motor pronto. So be careful and get that meter so you can answer gctech's question.
10-4, I’ve got a digital meter but it’s just the bar one that measures the overall battery voltage and drops down a bar as the pack is used. Guess there is one that gives you instant readings as well.? Do you know what the throttle up should be on for off road usage or does it make much of a difference?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO