lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

Default Cable question for 98 txt

I bought a 1998 txt recently. I was told they replaced all cables with 2 gauge. It appears they did from the batteries to solenoid. From the solenoid to the motor, these things look like 6 gauge or something. They are very tiny compared to the 2 gauge.

I figure this is why my cart is slow acting. It has an upgraded motor and navitas 440amp controller but is still sluggish. The cables going to the motor feel warm after a drive.

I need to order more cables. I take it that since there are 4 cables, 2 are forward and 2 are reverse. I am after more pep in forward. What length do I need for these? Do I only need to replace the 1 positive one with a 2 gauge or the negative as well?

Is the forward cables the ones on top or below the motor?
cowsgonemadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cable question for 98 txt

A TXT is a body type (plastic) and in 1998 a TXT had either a series type drive or a DCS type.

With either type drive, the four cables to the motor are used for both forward and reverse. One pair feeds the armature and the other pair feed the stationary windings.

The difference between the direction the motor spins is determined by the direction the amps flow through the stationary windings.

Need to know which drive system your cart has.
Does the white plug on top of have 6 pins (4 filled - 2 blank) or 10 pins (9 filled - 1 blank)?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

Its a DCS cart. 9 wires, 1 empty slot.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsgonemadd3 View Post
Its a DCS cart. 9 wires, 1 empty slot.
The DCS drive has 10 cables that carry high amps and all 10 of them ought to be 4Ga or thicker. Since some of them have already been replaced with 2Ga, the rest should be also.

Attached is a DCS schematic with 5 of the high amp cables highlighted. The other 5 connect the six 6V batteries together.

8Ga is sufficient from the two cables connecting F1 and F2 from controller to motor since they don't carry as many amps (about 30A max) as the cables connected to A1 and A2 (300A or more goes through armature).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS - High Current cables traced.JPG (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

I am looking to buy those 5 then. I looked around and see they sell different wire kits with different lengths. Do you think the 4 wires to the motor are all 20+ inches? Some kits have 2 x at 20.87in and 2 x at 11.8in.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsgonemadd3 View Post
I am looking to buy those 5 then. I looked around and see they sell different wire kits with different lengths. Do you think the 4 wires to the motor are all 20+ inches? Some kits have 2 x at 20.87in and 2 x at 11.8in.
Measure the existing cables with the type tape measure used for sewing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO