lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2021 RXV Rear Axle Noise

My brand new 2021 RXV makes a metallic rattling / clanking noise only when the cart is cruising at full speed. Under braking or acceleration the noise goes away completely. I assumed that the noise would be coming from the motor / differential / axle since it changes with speed and load.

I pulled the motor off of the diff and if i turn the input shaft by hand back and forth there is noticeable backlash between the input shaft and the intermediate gear. I can recreate the exact same clanking noise by rotating the input shaft back and forth by hand. Is this normal for the RXV rear end? Nothing to worry about? It doesnt seem that there is any adjustability. I have read on here and heard form many people that RXV's make noises and its just something you get used to. Would switching to 80w90 or 75w140 gear oil make any difference?
Rodge427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2021 RXV Rear Axle Noise

I've just installed brand new Rearend on my RXV. What i can say is, turning at the Inputshaft a little forth and back will result in a clunking noise from inside the Transaxle. This seems to be absolutely normal for RXV's! But when doing this, watch the Hub's or Wheels if still mounted and you will see, there is no backlash within the Gears! I've made another test, Cart on the ground with Parkingbrake off, moving forth and back while watching the visible Motorshaft - no backlash... You'll see 1:1 movement! Until now, i'm not really sure what is causing the clunking, most likely the Differential?
When driving in one direction slow or fast, you shouldn't hear such a noise at all.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate the reply. When i turned my input shaft with the motor removed i am almost certain i could move the input shaft back and forth without having the wheels move at all. I did not have the cart jacked up. It definitely felt like dead space between the teeth of the input and intermediate.

if i push my cart back and forth with the parking brake engaged it will rock back and forth and make the noise before the motor brake stops it. Can roll just a little forward and back and then resistance. When i turn the guy on the motor does the back and forth test, making 2 clanks without the wheels moving at all as well.
Rodge427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Talking Re: 2021 RXV Rear Axle Noise

I think yall are doing two different things. A little bit of "play" is inevitable amongst 3 gear sets in an axle that doesnt offer lash adjustment. But too much noise is a different topic. I really think "totally silent" is a dream that doesnt exist. With no "gas motor" to freak out about, gear noise is the next target. Until a 1:1 gear ratio from motor to wheel exists (hub motors), we will have to accept some "gear noise".. I am not saying you should just "ignore noise", but, some sound is inevitable.

I never knew just how loud "gear sound" was until I rode in the bed of a V8 swapped S10 & I heard every gear set of a TH-350 transmission. It wasnt broken, but I could hear things I never noticed before. Doesnt sound the same when your "In the car".. maybe this doesnt apply, but electric vehicles afford you to hear the "gear sounds" that you would never think of. Yes, rxvs are known to have input shaft gear noise.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Misterious, if there is really a " death space " you feel when turning the Inputshaft f/r without any sign of moving at the Axle's, there seems to be something wrong with the Gears!? Anyway, a brand new 2021 model should be covered by a dealer / manufacturer guarantee, right?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO