lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Default Recommendations for TXT 36v

All, I apologize for making a separate thread for my topic; however, I just didn't know if trying to tag onto an ongoing thread was going to be the best spot for it.

I have an EZGO TXT 36V (really not entirely sure what year) that I got earlier this year in March, and it had batteries that were bought by previous owner new at the end of 2018. Unfortunately, these batteries are already experiencing decline, not holding charge as long and considerable drops in voltage under full load. So now I'm at a point where I'm trying to determine what would be the best path forward and would make the most sense for me (cost-wise and performance wise). Thoughts are:

1. Just replace with new (6) 6V batteries and replace wires and clean up best I can for around $800-1,000

2. Convert to 48V setup for more speed/torque given that I have to get new batteries anyway? Really need help understanding what I would need in order to do this (see pic of cart and motor), and idea of cost I'm looking at

3. Change to a Lithium setup. Again, need help truly understanding what all would be needed for this and idea of cost I'm looking at.

I apologize for such noob type questions, I'm just hoping to compile information on what would be needed for some options and what makes the most sense price-wise. I appreciate any support I can get. If you need any other information from me on my setup, I'll gladly try to pull that asap.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200425_112539.jpg (207.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200425_112547.jpg (222.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201209_113822.jpg (187.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201209_113615.jpg (194.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201209_113730.jpg (137.4 KB, 0 views)
TeXaS29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Recommendations for TXT 36v

I'll get you started. Based on the directional switch (lever), that is a series cart. Meaning a series wound motor as opposed to a sepex system. If replacing controller/motor you need series versions.
Cart is no newer than 2008 and could be as old as 1996. Look for a tag riveted the passenger cubby. Post picture of it or post the numbers.
If the steering rack is mounted on the axle it is 2001.5 or newer. If mounted on the "firewall" older.
Generally speaking converting it to 48v is the best way to go on the old series carts. It will make a big difference that can be felt "seat of the pants", especially the added torque. BUT not cheap. Besides batteries, the speed controller, solenoid and battery charger needs to be changed plus sundries like battery connecting wires.
It would help if you told us how you use the cart and what you expect of it. Mostly off road? Hills or flat? Stuff like that.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

delete. double post
Old 12-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
Sideways
Gone Wild

I upgraded my 94 medalist from 36v to 48v a few years ago and never looked back.
99.9% of everyone else on here will recommend upgrading to 48v.
As far as cost, check out www.cartsunlimited.net/
Scottyb is a sponsor of this site and he offers packages for upgrades including controllers, solenoids and complete cable sets.
In addition to batteries you will need to upgrade your charger as well.
My cart is a series drive and I was able to use the 36v motor which is still going strong.
I did the upgrade myself along with help from a lot of great people on this site, saving me the cost of labor.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I'll get you started. Based on the directional switch (lever), that is a series cart. Meaning a series wound motor as opposed to a sepex system. If replacing controller/motor you need series versions.
Cart is no newer than 2008 and could be as old as 1996. Look for a tag riveted the passenger cubby. Post picture of it or post the numbers.
If the steering rack is mounted on the axle it is 2001.5 or newer. If mounted on the "firewall" older.
Generally speaking converting it to 48v is the best way to go on the old series carts. It will make a big difference that can be felt "seat of the pants", especially the added torque. BUT not cheap. Besides batteries, the speed controller, solenoid and battery charger needs to be changed plus sundries like battery connecting wires.
It would help if you told us how you use the cart and what you expect of it. Mostly off road? Hills or flat? Stuff like that.
Thanks for the quick response. The directional switch is a lever that is behind the legs under the middle of the seat. Unfortunately there isn't a tag in the passenger cubby from when I got it from previous owner. I did replace the steering rack when I got it to eliminate some sloppy steering, and it was mounted to the firewall. I was guessing I'm probably sitting with a late 90's cart.

I was assuming the 48v was an interesting topic, but what am I most likely looking at here in cost? Is there a particular list of items to look at? What about the motor itself, judging from the pics of the motor in original post.

I mostly utilize this as a neighborhood crawler. Although there are some decent hills throughout the neighborhood, but mostly drive on road/concrete, and mostly in short range stints. I would say the longest trip we've taken in it as a family is just shy of 5 miles at one time.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you happy with the performance so far? If so just replace the batteries with new (36v worth). All of them, and get true golf cart batteries. Not so called deep cycle or marine batteries. Get 'em in the cart. Charge completely before first use. Keep them clean, watered and charged after every use and be happy for 5-7 years or so. YMMV
Old 12-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Are you happy with the performance so far? If so just replace the batteries with new (36v worth). All of them, and get true golf cart batteries. Not so called deep cycle or marine batteries. Get 'em in the cart. Charge completely before first use. Keep them clean, watered and charged after every use and be happy for 5-7 years or so. YMMV
Overall yes. There are times where it feels very boggy and slow and you want that extra speed. But I'm not also trying to set lap times either.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

So I was reading in another thread, of possibility of increasing speed with maintaining 36v setup. Obviously I need new 36v batteries, but what else would be required to go from say 15mph on flat surface to 18/20mph? Is that possible, or was what I was reading completely false?
Old 12-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The sepex versions, PDS in EZGO speak, have the power in stock trim to make 18-20 mph. To do this you had to have the right "chip" in the controller. It wasn't really a chip. Actually a plug and there were 3 options if I remember right. Mild hill, steep hill and freedom(speed) or something close to that. They were very cheap, less then $20 and wasn't a trick. You could buy them from EZGO. Doesn't apply to " series " carts like yours unfortunately.

You can do a thing called "field shorting" in series carts. You can google that if you want.

Just so you know, by 2010, EZGO had abandoned series carts and 36v carts. Every thing now is 48v or more and either sepex or AC motored. Club Car and Yamaha also.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

It think it all depends on what your budget is as well. Start assigning you value to the increase in use/performance you'd obtain with certain levels of replacements or upgrades.

Sounds like you need new batteries, regardless. So there's $550-$800 depending on your battery of choice. Could be short, simple, and easy to get you back on the road with essentially no downtime.

48V upgrade - Right off the bat, you'll need to spend an additional $150+ for more battery (6x6V now vs 6X8V or 8x6V for 48V). Then, you're going to invest, at minimum $1,200 to convert from 36V to 48V according to Scottyb's website. Then you have a new charger to throw on top of that.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html

I'm going to budget high and account for some unknowns, and say you'll be approaching $2,000 for the conversion. Is it worth it to you? Let's not forget the amount of time you're without the cart doing the install. Even if that's only a few days.

Personally, we're not pushing the limits of range and power actually needed with our use. So, the $2,000 would be just "for some extra fun". I'd rather put those dollars elsewhere (cart or not).

Lithium - I'm trying to read up on all the threads about lithium, but it's a lot to take in. This is where I am... Many have made their own packs successfully with car parts. I have neither time nor skill to do this. There are a few mass-produced lithium options, but I think it's still early to really know what the return is for the additional money spent. Again, personally, if I needed batteries today, I'd replace with Flooded Lead-Acid this go around. Hoping that Lithium has matured enough, along with cost reductions, when I'm ready next time.

By the looks of it, you have a really nice cart for the age. I'd stick 6 new 6V batteries in it and call it a day. If your rear leaf springs are stock, spend the $110 to upgrade to dual-action. Looks like the tires may be a year or two out from needing some new tread, so plan on replacing rubber? Could be an optical illusion though and, depending on what you do, maybe the tread is no big deal. I like the flat black, but you could spruce it up with a new paint job and/or seat covers.
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO