lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Differential Rubber Drain Plug

I am getting ready to install a new complete rear differential in my 2009 RXV.

As I am not sure if it came filled, I would like to drain and refill with 85-140 plus the friction modifier.

My question is, because my new differential is not yet installed, can I just drain it and refill it using the rubber plug in the differential cover, instead of removing the cover completely.

It seems like after draining, I can rotate the housing enough to fill it without spilling out the vent hole.

Is there any reason I need to remove the differential cover, or can I just drain and refilll this new differential thru the rubber plug?

Thank you,

Fred
Fred H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Differential Rubber Drain Plug

How do you plan to fully drain it if you dont remove the cover? Taking the plug out probably drains about 2/3 of the fluid (because the plug isnt even at the very bottom). Plus, if theres any metal bits at the bottom (more common than you think even in new stuff), it will just stay there waiting to become friends with the new oil. Also, I always add a strong magnet to the inside of the cover while i have it open, to collect any metal in the system. You arent doing your self any favors by doing it the lazy way.

But, since it's new oil, you can just point the cover up, remove the plug, and look inside the axle with a flashlight, you will be able to see oil, if there is any.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Differential Rubber Drain Plug

Thanks CGTech,

Based on your comments, I think I will pull the cover and do a full inspection similar to what I did on my old unit when I serviced it.

Fred
Fred H is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO