lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for fun ideas and a 'path' forward

Update:

So, spoke with Navitas as well as a local guy. Here is what I am thinking for a "path forward":

1 - Going to see if the motor I have works. If it does, I will use it till I upgrade that, placing it lower on my priority.

2 - I want the ability to connect with wifi to the controller so if my kids want to drive, I can set the max speed on the cart before they take it :P So, need to figure on a 48v controller with wifi. I prefer that, but if need be, eh.. will get the one that has a key on it ;). I have not made the decision for Navitas vs Alltrax yet, but I decided on 48v. I am not sure a 48v AC would be worth my time and money as I am not looking for THAT much performance.. heh

3 - I think the 440 would fit me fine, vs the 600. All about price at that point, so we will see.

4 - If the current motor works.. it will get by till I can replace it with a better motor as it handled both 36v and 48v.

5 - Will need new wiring and a solid solenoid, but will work with whomever I get the controller from to get a kit.

Lastly... my son was cleaning and cleaning.. heh.. so we will have some fun over Christmas taking the body parts off the cart and coming up with a paint scheme... something to do. Cleaning it up, replacing any wood, rhino line what we can for protection, and debate what "accessories" ;)

Thanks for the input folks!

R
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Couple of thoughts/opinions:

From what I can see in the pictures, the battery rack doesn't look that bad to me. If you clean it you might be surprised that is better than it looks. If so, some people here have had good luck painting it with POR15 or similar.

There is a way to test the motor with the cart on jack stands and a 12v source. The procedure and diagram is somewhere on this board.

When removing the wires from the motor, use the 2 wrench method. One to hold the bottom nut from turning while removing the top nut with the other. If the bottom nut spins motor damage follows.

When thinking about wires, especially the thick high current cables, use high strand count welding wire 4ga at least. Don't cheap out here if you want reliability. Also, the 8v batteries have their connections on the same side vs the 6v batteries that have them on the opposite sides. So the 5 wires that connect the batteries in series are different lengths depending on 8v or 6v batteries configuration. Something to consider so you don't have to buy them twice.

Alltrax controllers are good for 36 and 48v so you don't have to change it if you decide later to to 48v. Navitas maybe also but I don't know. Some chargers are capable of both voltages also (Lester summit II for example). If you need to replace the charger this is the way to go so you don't have to buy twice.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All great input. Yes, I used the 2-wrench method, when I saw there was a second nut below. One terminal was really rusted and loose. That being said, it may still work, but the wires literally fell apart.

I have it up on a jack now. I am trying to get enough of a charge on two batteries to allow me to test the motor at least heh.

Here is a better picture of the center battery mount. The battery mount may be fixable, but with a little work and some bolts, one of those aluminum ones would probably be nicer. Not sure if I would take the old one over a new aluminum one, heh.. but eh.. if I can repair and know it is solid, I am easy.

One more notch for Alltex then... would be nice not to have to change the charger out. I will ask/look at that as well, thanks for that insight!

Also, my son says hello.. and said to post his cleaning picture ;)

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3894.jpg (143.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3895.jpg (98.7 KB, 0 views)
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO