lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

Default need help ezgo alltrax XCT no reverse

HI Guys need some help trouble shooting. Installed a Alltrax XCT500DCS controller
MZJ400A solenoid
2g cable set
Admiral B4 motor
6/8v batteries
I am 99.9% sure every thing is wired correctly. I have forward but no reverse. I have verified the rocker switch is functional, if I swap the forward and reverse on the rocker switch the forward will always work. There is no reverse buzzer either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This cart we have been hammering away at for my oldest daughters Christmas present.

Thanks, Mike
mjvaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: need help ezgo alltrax XCT no reverse

The controller defaults to forward and has to be told to do reverse by placing Battery pack voltage on Pin-4 (Orange wire) of the 10 pin plug.

You said the F/R was a rocker switch and a DCS cart's F/R was a level by the knee, so if it is a rocker switch, it is a modification and may not be wired right.

Check for pack voltage on Pin-4 when in reverse first and we'll go from there.

Also, describe the F/R rocker switch. (either a SPDT with a diode or a DPDT without)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

Hi Johnnie, Thanks for reply, The rocker switch is a Club Car F&R Rocker Switch from cartsunlimited.com The cart when I got it already had a rocker like this though I replaced it with a new one. From memory The orange red and red are tied together in the center of the switch and the yellow is on one side and the orange on the other side.

So originally I had nothing working and no click of the solenoid at all. then it started working and now back to not working. I am getting a pre-charge failure Blink code.
the batteries are new trogons, 51v on the batteries. After reading I saw a few guys that had a problem with their run tow switch so I replaced that today as well. Same blink code.
I will have to check the voltage on pin 4 tomorrow as the cart is at my shop.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie, So more information. If I am doing it right?? I have no voltage on the orange wire. With the rocker flipped towards the orange wire. I get the pre charge failure. if I flip the run tow switch off and then back on I will hear the solenoid click and the cart will go forward if I push the peddle. Once the voltage on the opposite side of the solenoid starts to drop again I get the pre charge failure message again then nothing.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Does the CC rocker switch have 3 terminals (SPDT) or 6 terminals (DPDT)?

On a rocker switch, the center terminal(s) is connected to the side opposite the side the rocker is pushed on. In other words, if the F side is pushed, the terminal under the R side is connected to the center or common terminal.

Red and Red/Org wires tie to the common (center) terminal(s) and when F is selected, there should be battery voltage on the yellow wire and when R is selected there should be battery voltage on BOTH the yellow and orange wires.

If the CC switch is a SPDT, a diode in needed to get battery voltage to the yellow wire when R sis selected.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

HI Johnnie, The rocker switch is a 6 terminal so DPDT. It is wired as stated above. The strange part is I only get the solenoid to click when the switch is rocked to the "R" orange and if I toggle the run tow switch on and off. I did try replacing the run tow switch as well with the same results.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The pre-charge failure error occurs when the voltage between the controller's B- to B+ terminals are not within +/- 5V of the voltage between the controller's B- terminal and Pin-6 (KSI input) The voltage on Pins 9 and 10 should also be within that voltage range.

Measure those voltages.
B- to B+ = ?
B- to Pin-6 = ?
B- to Pin-9 = ?
B- to Pin-10 = ?

The pre-charge error is self correcting, but only if the error condition ceases to exist, or the controller is reset by flipping the Run/Tow from Run to Tow and back to Run.

Attached is a wiring diagram for replacing an early type DCS F/R switch assembly with a DPDT/Center OFF switch. Be sure both jumpers (purple lines) are in place.

-----------
What year is your cart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Replace Early Type DCS FNR with DPDT switch.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

Hi Johnnie, Ok wired a new diode in the F/R switch and now have forward and reverse when ever we flip the switch to reset the controller. I will try to figure out how to post a photo and post a photo of the switch.

The cart is a 1995

OK so when I first reset with the run tow switch...

My voltage on b- to b+ is 49.5v
after I get the error code the voltage will steady drop to 1.0

B- to pin 6 is 48.5v
B- to pin 9 is 49.3v
b- to pin 10 is 0v
Old 12-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvaden View Post
1. Hi Johnnie, Ok wired a new diode in the F/R switch and now have forward and reverse when ever we flip the switch to reset the controller.

2.I will try to figure out how to post a photo and post a photo of the switch.

3. The cart is a 1995

OK so when I first reset with the run tow switch...

4. My voltage on b- to b+ is 49.5v

5. after I get the error code the voltage will steady drop to 1.0

6. B- to pin 6 is 48.5v
7. B- to pin 9 is 49.3v
8. b- to pin 10 is 0v
1. If you are using a DPDT switch (6 terminals), no diode is needed, but there must be jumper wires connecting switch terminals 2 to 6 and another jumper wire connecting 3 to 4.

2. Use the paperclip (image attached with paperclip highlighted) to attach the picture to your post. (Paper clip is on the advanced screen, so use the POST REPLY button at bottom left of screen, or QUOTE button in button right of the post you want to quote.)

3. Must have been built in early 1995 since it probably had the early type F/R with a diode attached.

4, 6 & 7. Normal.

5. This is abnormal and most likely being caused by #8 below.

8. Check for battery voltage (about 50V) on all four of the Run/Tow switch terminals. Voltage sources are the solenoid's battery side large terminal for one set and the reed switch in the charger receptacle for the other. (Or the reed switch bypass if it has been bypassed)

------------
Get voltage to Pin-10, and it'll probably work.

But I'd like to see a photo of F/R switch terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paperclip circled.jpg (53.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
mjvaden
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. If you are using a DPDT switch (6 terminals), no diode is needed, but there must be jumper wires connecting switch terminals 2 to 6 and another jumper wire connecting 3 to 4.

2. Use the paperclip (image attached with paperclip highlighted) to attach the picture to your post. (Paper clip is on the advanced screen, so use the POST REPLY button at bottom left of screen, or QUOTE button in button right of the post you want to quote.)

3. Must have been built in early 1995 since it probably had the early type F/R with a diode attached.

4, 6 & 7. Normal.

5. This is abnormal and most likely being caused by #8 below.

8. Check for battery voltage (about 50V) on all four of the Run/Tow switch terminals. Voltage sources are the solenoid's battery side large terminal for one set and the reed switch in the charger receptacle for the other. (Or the reed switch bypass if it has been bypassed)

------------
Get voltage to Pin-10, and it'll probably work.

But I'd like to see a photo of F/R switch terminals.
Hi Johnnie, here are the photos one of the f/r switch, one of the instructions from Scottie b for the switch and also a photo of the run tow encase it is wired incorrectly.
I checked voltage on all 4 post on the run tow and I have 49.5v
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocker switch.jpg (92.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rocker switch instructions.jpg (139.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg run tow switch.jpg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO