lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Mrejrobinson
Not Yet Wild

Default Six 12v deep cycle batteries

New golf cart owner here, with a quick question. I have a 2006 36v TXT. The previous owner converted it to 3 12v deep cycles. The batteries are new. I am concerned about run time. If I purchase 3 more deep cycle 12 volt batteries, wire them in three sets of two batteries in series and the wire them in parallel to make 36v. Will there be any issues?

I don’t really want to spend 1000 on a new set of 6 batteries. If I could spend 300 and make something almost as good.
Mrejrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Six 12v deep cycle batteries

It would not hurt to do that but still may do what you want. You’re adding more weight plus have to find somewhere to put them. I would just run what you have until it dies.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did the same on my 1st txt, 3 x 12v batteries, acceptable less range but significant less weight as well
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
Jaybird18
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

added weight would reduce the possible gains in my opinion
Jaybird18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I once had a customer who "accidently" ended up with 6 12 volts. He decided he could certainly just swap batteries, right? Went to NAPA. They took his 6 x 6 volt cores and sold him 6 x 12 volt marine deep cycles. "24" case size, so each was the same size as the 6 volts he took out. When he wired them up, he ran them in series just like what he took out, but "forgot" the (+) and (-) went to the drive system. He tried to chain the pack (+) and (-) together - now 72 volts, but he didn't realize that. Huge sparks, burned his hands, melted a few terminals before he got it back apart. That's when he decided maybe he didn't really know what he was doing and brought it to me.
Even though NAPA had sold him the wrong batteries to begin with, they were non-returnable now - with the melted terminals and all. I made some new cables to use the automotive top post terminals (not ideal, but it worked) and wired them as 2 series of 3 batteries each, then paralleled the 2 series together. I also put that wire diagram on the underside of the front seat for the sake of whoever came across it next time. To the best of my knowledge it's still running around that way.
I always figured, even with the damage he did, his wiring error kept him from melting down his controller & solenoid. If he had gotten that right, I can't imagine the 36 volt system would have survived the 72 volts.

Last edited by meimk; 04-03-2021 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: more info
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

If you are getting 3 batteries for $300, then they must be marine batteries instead of golf cart batteries. Are the 3 that came with the cart also marine batteries? If they are, I think you would be money ahead to find another use for them and buy a pack of golf cart batteries.

But if there is nothing you can do with them and you really want to save money in the short run, then I would go for it. I would try to match the 3 you already have as far as size and capacity. Just make sure you can fit them into the cart. There are several ways to do that, so you probably can.

I've never failed to get at least 7 years out of a pack of golf cart batteries. Lots of people have asked about using marine batteries and I know some have tried it, but it's rare for anyone to report back on how long it lasted. Please tell us how it turns out if you try it, and good luck with it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

36V is 36V no matter how you get it, golf carts are used for a lot of different purposes and storage capacities (range) varies greatly, so what works from one person may not work for others.

If someone finds the performance of a 36V cart acceptable and doesn't need to travel very far on a single charge, a 3x12V might work out okay.

On the other hand, if a little more range then you get with the typical 6x6V is wanted, or needed, a 2Px3Sx12V might be the answer.

The standard 6x6V pack uses 225AH batteries and stores 8.1kWh of energy with a guesstimated range of roughly 15 miles. (2.5 rounds of golf - used for comparison - actual ranges vary all over the place.)

A 3x12V pack uses 150AH batteries and has 5.4kWh of storage and in the same cart would have about a 10 mile range.

Putting two 3x12V packs in parallel doubles the AH to 300AH and the resulting pack stores 10.8kWh and the range increases to about 20 miles.

Whatever works for you, works for you.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO