lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default how fast can I go

sooooo how fast is my Cart????? I see most people seem to have a gps that tells them how fast they are going, I would like to find out how fast I can go so am thinking of buying a gps to find out, Is there any particular gps unit anyone can recommend, I am not looking to spend too much cash. I never owned one before, do they all tell you how fast you can roll down the road????
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
CaptainPete
Getting Wild

Default Re: how fast can I go

If you have a smart phone theres an app for that, free download, unless you needed a gps for other stuff, I have a Garmin Nuvi, works great.
CaptainPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Click on "quick links" on the top of the page, then on "speed calculator" in the drop down menu. If you know the rated rpm of your motor you can get a reasonable estimate.

I've had good luck with garmin. Haven't tried a smart phone for checking speed but my daughter's Iphone navigates pretty well.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just downloaded a GPS speedometer for my android phone and compared it to the speedo on my Avalanche and it was 1mph slower at 70mph. Now all I have to do is take the cart out tomorrow and test it there.
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you can find a level stretch of land in your neck of the woods , and have a stopwatch.
Mark off a measured distance, time how long it takes you to transverse that distance and do the math.

Example: If your cart covers 20' in 0.75s, its average speed over the measured distance, was 18.2 MPH

Formula: Distance in feet, Divided by Time in seconds, Times the number of Seconds in an Hour, Divided by the number of Feet in a Mile, Equals MPH
(20/0.75*3600/5280 = 18.181817)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you can find a level stretch of land in your neck of the woods , and have a stopwatch.
Mark off a measured distance, time how long it takes you to transverse that distance and do the math.

Example: If your cart covers 20' in 0.75s, its average speed over the measured distance, was 18.2 MPH

Formula: Distance in feet, Divided by Time in seconds, Times the number of Seconds in an Hour, Divided by the number of Feet in a Mile, Equals MPH
(20/0.75*3600/5280 = 18.181817)
perfect. that will do for now.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

around about 14mph but I run out of room too quick so maybe better than that, been out in the driveway and am not sure i am getting too full speed by the time I hit the mark definitely something to play around with though. gonna check the air in the tiers and try a few more runs.... checked tire pressure and backed er up a lil farther and am getting more around 17mph now
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yep, you've gotta have enough room to get it up to speed.
In addition to the distance it takes a 3 or 4 HP motor to accelerate half a ton from rest, some controllers slowly ramp up to full power over a second or so.

The example I gave was what I got after I upgraded to 2Ga cables. (Stock PDS with Freedom Chip) I used about 100' to get up to speed before the speed trap.
After getting inconsistent results watching for the marks with one eye and where I was going with the other, I nailed down a couple wood furring strips and started/stopped the stopwatch when I felt/heard the bump. Reaction time is about the same at both ends, so they more or less cancel each other out and my timed runs became repeatable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Cart54
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I notice that my cart will bounce around 2-3 mph at top speed...it kind of catapults, then coasts and repeats...similar to hitting a govenor. I think the measured distance won't really give you good data.

Borrow a GPS from someone...someone's got to have one that you know!
Cart54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Using a GPS or calculating speeds by distance travelled are sure fire ways of telling how fast the cart is going now. But, I think in the true spirit of the question and the forum, the answer should be something like this:

Question: "How fast can I go?"

Answer: "How much money do you have?"

Because as we all know, Money = Speed
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO