lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: how fast can I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yep, you've gotta have enough room to get it up to speed.
In addition to the distance it takes a 3 or 4 HP motor to accelerate half a ton from rest, some controllers slowly ramp up to full power over a second or so.

The example I gave was what I got after I upgraded to 2Ga cables. (Stock PDS with Freedom Chip) I used about 100' to get up to speed before the speed trap.
After getting inconsistent results watching for the marks with one eye and where I was going with the other, I nailed down a couple wood furring strips and started/stopped the stopwatch when I felt/heard the bump. Reaction time is about the same at both ends, so they more or less cancel each other out and my timed runs became repeatable.
well I have a 8 hp high torque motor and it seems i need about 150- 200 ft to get up to full speed but i was running 15.3 mph pretty consistently with the high being 17.1 one good thing I don't need furring strips the grass grows through 2 crack across the driveway 28.5 ft apart makes it easier. I will borrow a gps from someone eventually but at least i had something to play around with yesterday

as for money = speed, 48v conversion,2 batteries$$ 48v solenoid$$ high speed 8:1 gears $$$$$ disc breaks, or I could just not stop either way could be $$$$$ bigger bigger bigger faster faster faster$$$$$$$$$$$
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart54 View Post
I notice that my cart will bounce around 2-3 mph at top speed...it kind of catapults, then coasts and repeats...similar to hitting a govenor. I think the measured distance won't really give you good data.

Borrow a GPS from someone...someone's got to have one that you know!
I agree, use a GPS if you have, or can borrow one.

As for time over a measured distance, if it is accurate enough for the Official Land Speed records at Bonneville Flats, it is accurate enough for me.
FWIW, Measuring time over distance is how GPS calculates speed.
Also, the unit of measurement, MPH, is distance divided by time.

Granted, the mechanisms that start/stop the timers at Bonneville, at the end of Drag Strips and on pit lanes in NASCAR, are more accurate and consistent than the human thumb on stopwatch buttons, but a whole lot of speeding tickets were written by cops using stopwatches before radar guns were invented, and they stood up in court.

It is probably not practical, but if you increased the measured distance to something longer than the surge cycle of your cart, you will get an accurate and repeatable average speed over that distance, that will match what you get with a GPS, if you do your part on the stopwatch.

Stopwatch and tape measure might be old school technology, but it still works.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
TRXHemi
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I think mine goes 4 in the condition it is on currently. I can probably walk faster! LOL

Can you do anything to spruce up a 36V system? Jeez....
TRXHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
Cart54
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I agree, use a GPS if you have, or can borrow one.

As for time over a measured distance, if it is accurate enough for the Official Land Speed records at Bonneville Flats, it is accurate enough for me.
FWIW, Measuring time over distance is how GPS calculates speed.
Also, the unit of measurement, MPH, is distance divided by time.

Granted, the mechanisms that start/stop the timers at Bonneville, at the end of Drag Strips and on pit lanes in NASCAR, are more accurate and consistent than the human thumb on stopwatch buttons, but a whole lot of speeding tickets were written by cops using stopwatches before radar guns were invented, and they stood up in court.

It is probably not practical, but if you increased the measured distance to something longer than the surge cycle of your cart, you will get an accurate and repeatable average speed over that distance, that will match what you get with a GPS, if you do your part on the stopwatch.

Stopwatch and tape measure might be old school technology, but it still works.

All true stuff...but we were talking peak speed (from what I read) and also talking about a 20-30' distance for measurement. Mine probably surges every 20-30 feet.

Then again, who cares about top speed, average speed is king in my world.
Cart54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXHemi View Post
I think mine goes 4 in the condition it is on currently. I can probably walk faster! LOL

There are several things that can be done to spruce up a 36v system. The first thing you should do is talk to Scottb. He is working on some packages that will go along with wiring upgrades and motor upgrades.
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRXHemi View Post

throw about 20 or 30 100 dollar bills at it and it will be a cruiser... 1st be sure batteries are all good and clean, 2nd wires clean bright and tight, if they look nasty just plan on getting some 4 or 2g wires for it, 3rd upgrades talk to scotty about a motor controller hd F/R switch Hd solenoid and if your gonna do all that you may as well go to 48v while your at it, 4th lift kit and 25" tires 5th high speed gears 6th sell it get another and do it all over again.

on the cheap clean up all your cables check all your batteries and ride on. 4 is pretty slow you might have a problem
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm still running 36v,and it averages 23mph on the gps....,But I also done the mods that are in my sig.
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp-rider View Post
I'm still running 36v,and it averages 23mph on the gps....,But I also done the mods that are in my sig.
them under body led's sure make em move.... do you have pictures of the lights on at night????
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestfarmtn View Post
them under body led's sure make em move.... do you have pictures of the lights on at night????
Not at the moment ,I'll try to get some sone.
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp-rider View Post
Not at the moment ,I'll try to get some sone.
would love to see it.. I have a lot of work ahead of me before i think about putting ground lights on so maybe I shouldn't see it, next thing ya know i'll have em hooked up and I don't even drive it at night, now an iPod and speakers I might already be sold on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO