lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Sticks&strings
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 marathon paint prep question.

First off, I haven't tried too hard but it looks like there is a lot to removing the body off the frame. I was thinking about a rattle can paint Job with the frame on ad just tape it all off real good. The frame won't be painted bit I'm ok with that for now. I looked into pulling the trim off the top of the dash that wraps all the way down the "quarter panels" if you will. But I was afraid that it would stretch that rubber or be very difficult to replace. Please let me know thoughts. Thx.
Sticks&strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 marathon paint prep question.

You will get a much better paint job removing the panels ans stripping them down. If you are not picky and are fine with a rattle paint job....then just leave them on the cart and tape off everything else.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Sticks&strings
Not Yet Wild

Is that rubber trim hard to replace?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&strings View Post
Is that rubber trim hard to replace?
Just did mine in less than 30 minutes....have you ever replaces a window in a car or truck?

used a piece of heavy mono 125lbs..google how to install a truck window
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Sticks&strings
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I'll have to look it up. No I've never replaced one but il see what I can find on you tube. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Sticks&strings
Not Yet Wild

TTt. Anyone else have info?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have an 89 also. Since it is a sheet metal body, the paint process is just like it would be for a car. Clean, Sand, Prime, Paint, Clear. I did all of the bodywork on mine with the panels on the cart. When it got time to paint, everything was removed. I did not go all the way to the frame, but All the sheet metal came off and then what was left was pressure washer cleaned, primed and painted. Once everything was baked and cured, it was put back together.

As far as the trim pieces, I only put the one on around the dash panel. I replaced all of the wheel pieces with fender flares. Someone on here suggested (I think it was Andy) that warming the rubber pieces up makes them easier to install. Since I live in texas, and it was summer when I did this, I just let it sit in the sun for a couple hours before I was ready to put it back and sprayed a little PAM cooking spray on the end I started wtih. Slid right on.

There is a link to my build thread in my signature if you want to waste a little time.
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
toolman0114
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I also have a 1989 Marathon, how do I remove the front sheet metal piece that wraps around the front of the battery compartment? the piece with the switch, key switch, etc?
Also, more importantly...what is that front piece of sheet metal called? mine is rotted out all along the bottom and I'd like to find a new, or good used one. But it helps to know what it is called.
toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
howieandy
Not Yet Wild

hey ekgguy, where did you find fender flares?
howieandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a link to the ones that I purchased. Again, this was a suggestion from Andy and it worked great.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11601.01 Factory Style Fender Flare Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11601.01 Factory Style Fender Flare Set: Automotive

The ones that are for the front of the jeep go on the back of the golf cart and the ones for the back of the jeep are severely cut down for the front. All four pieces require heavy customizing, but it can all be done with a cut off wheel for the dremel tool. I used a combination of the mounting hardware that came with the flares and drilled several of my own mounting holes. They work perfectly.
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO