lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Default most efficiant tire choice

Hey guys newbie here. Just got my first cart. Want to use it for hunting. Bought an 2008 ezgo 36v. My question is what tire size could i put on the stock rims. I was thinking 7 inch wide knobby for front,20 inch tall. And for the rear maybee 12 inch wide knobby,20 inch tall. For now i dont want to spring for a lift, and i do not want to loose much torque cause i have some decent hills to climb. Still need decent traction for those wet mornings. Thinking narrower in front for less drag. Does this make any sence? Cant wait to start tricken this out.
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: most efficiant tire choice

Stick to 11" wide on the stock wheel in the rear.You can run wide all the way around,it doesn't make much difference.Look into a clutch-upgrade kit for a little more torque offroad.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks. R you talking about the tuning spring for 25 bucks. Is there any downside to going with that? Also i see there is a "chip" you can buy for like 20 bucks that says it improves performance,is that really true? Thanks again
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sorry,you have an electric,No Clutches! You will have to do some electric-upgrades!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

Without lifting, ground clearance may be, or may become, an issue.
With stock height tires (18"), it is 4.25" and with 20" tires it would be 5.25".

When going wider than stock tires (8.5"), be sure to check clearances carefully.
Offset rims and/or wheel spacers may be needed.

The "chip" is actually a Molex plug with jumper wires and is only applicable to PDS carts.
The different jumper combinations only change the top speed and amount of Regen Braking.
Torque is the same in all PDS modes.

Your cart will most likely be either a 2008 TXT PDS (Shunt wound motor - aka Sepex motor) or a 2008 TXT Series (Series wound motor)

If it has a rocker switch on dash for Forward and Reverse, it is a PDS
If the direction selector is by your right knee, it is a series cart.

If it is a PDS cart, be sure to place Run/Tow switch (located on controller cover) in Tow before doing any electrical work on cart or towing/pushing it.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Yes it helps,thanks. No way will any tire wider than 9 inch clear the leaf springs. So i guess 20x9x8 is my ideal tire choice in the rear. Got a speed chip but dont really like the idea of loss of regen braking on all the hills i have. I have the pds cart.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Recommend you do a little more Tire/wheel research before making final decision.

The part of a stock rim that mounts against the brake drums in the rear is centered on the width of the rim.
If you go to a rim with it offset to one side of the rim width, you can go wider on the tire.
Also spacers that fit between brake drum and rim are available up to around 4" thick.
With offset rims and spacers, you can go to about 14" wide tires in the rear if you want to, but part of the tires will run outboard of the fenders, so you'll have to add fender extensions or sling mud.

Another thing to take into consideration is that tire height and width listed and printed on tires are very approximate and the true dimensions (Mounted size or MTD) may vary by almost an inch.
Example: My stock tires (Carlisle Links) are marked 18 X 8.5 -8 but are only 17.4" tall.

By going from an 18" stock tire height to a 20" tire height, you are going to gain about 11% in speed while loosing about 11% in Torque. Actual gain/loss depends on true tire sizes.

Also, the taller tires are harder to turn and it is human nature to push the pedal further to maintain speed on inclines, so maximum run-time will be reduced a little.
With 20" tires, it may not be a significant amount, but with tires 22" and taller, it becomes an issue.

The same is true with wider tires, but to a far lesser extent.

As for loss of Regen Braking with Freedom Chip. By adding a switch to either or both of the jumper wires, you can change the PDS modes.
Here's a drawing that show the characteristics of the four modes and another that show which jumpers are needed for each.

I put a switch in the short jumper wire (pins 2&3) and have either Freedom mode (18.2MPH on 17.4" tires with no Regen Braking) or Mild Hill mode (~14MPH with mild Regen Braking)

As far as I can tell, the torque is about the same in both modes. I use Mild Hill when I'm out with my neighbors, so they can keep up with me in their Club Cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Thanks alot. My cart is fine for my needs in stock form. So my debate is what tire choice to go with and not loose performance. But of course i would like them to look cool. Thinking of lift to clear brush and weeds better. Tires im really struggling with. From what u guys say, no bigger than 20 inch tall. I think an agressive 20 inch would still look sharp and still maintain hill climbing ability. Only problem is there isnt much for tire choices. And also if i were to stick with stock rims i would need wheel spacers to get wider than nine inch on there? Anybody got a favorite wheel/ tire combo 20 inch or less tall?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I spend most of my time on pavement, gravel or hard packed trails and only go cross-country occasionally, and seldom go through mud or brush, so my needs may be different than yours.

An aggressive tread pattern gives you a rough ride on hard surfaces, so I'm going with a fairly mild pattern.
I've just about settled on Carlisle Turf Saver 18 X 9.5 - 8 4Ply on 3/4 offset rims, which is 18.1 X 9.6 mounted.
That is 0.7" taller than the 17.4" Carlisle Links currently on my cart
Mathematically, that will give me a 4% change in speed and torque, but I doubt if I'll notice either all that much since I don't routinely has a GPS with me or climb steep hills.
Also, I've got 2Ga cables, so my motor can draw all the amps the battery pack will provide and the controller will allow. (Amps = Torque)

First, find out if anybody in your area mounts/dismounts golf cart tires. Not every tire places has the equipment to handle 8" rims.

Measure the width of your current tires sidewall to sidewall and halve that distance.
Measure the clearance between the sidewall and spring, or other obstruction and add to half the tire width.
That will give you half the max width.
Remember to allow a little for sidewall flex when turning and hitting bumps.

I sent you a PM.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO