lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default I'm back!!!

My power went out about 7PM Friday night, and then the 100+ MPH wind arrived.
AEP is still projecting the power won't be fully restored in WV until Thursday night, and we we're hunkered down in hot weather survival mode, but we got power back in my neck of the woods at 11:30PM last night.

I only lost one major tree, but it landed across a much needed road. Got one lane open with a few neighbors and some chain saws, but a guy from a local construction company showed up with a front end loader and pushed it into the ditch.

To keep this sort of on topic , Golf Carts really came in handy over the past few days. With a bunch of trees down, cars and pickups couldn't get through without scraping the paint and some neighbors were effectively isolated from the rest of the world. A couple guys with Club Cars and me with an EZGO, hauled bags of ice, fuel for generators, milk for the kids and other essentials to a half dozen families on the other side of the partially blocked back roads.

All and all, my stock PDS acquitted itself well and I'm glad I went with EZGO rather than Club Car. I ran in Mild Hill mode and coasted down the hills, recharging the batteries a bit, so my run-time was pretty decent. Of course, I kept an eye (hand actually) on the controller and didn't let it get too hot. None of the cables or connections got much above ambient temperature (~100 at times - wow is it hot here without AC) and the controller never got above about 130.

It'll be a few days before things get back to normal, but I've got AC and my computers are running, so I'm doing okay.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: I'm back!!!

Glad to hear you made it through safely...And Im sure the families were very thankful for your help and have a new respect for golf cars too!
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
rib33024

good man johnnie, yeah them carts come in handy, glad everyone is safe
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

We got hammered here in SE Ohio - I figured you'd be offline. My sister lives on the east side of Huntington - her power never went out, but there are folks just a few blocks west of her who haven't had power since the storm hit.

Mine came back on for good on Sunday AM, about 15 minutes after I got my mummified-mouse-family-infested 5KW generator running. I ended up lending it to a friend in need.

Glad to have you back!

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

JOHNNIEB - That was really quite a storm!!! My son was trying to travel through WV the day after and ended up running out of gas while being 18th in line at a Sheetz station (the only station around with a generator). Glad everything is ok for you now but sounds like things were pretty hectic there for a while. Welcome back. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yeah it was quite a windstorm.

I rode out Hurricane Camille in the barracks at Keesler, AFB and have been pretty close (too darn close actually) to tornadoes in tornado alley, but I have to admit my pucker factor was high as I watched 8' sections of privacy fence sailing through the air like pieces of cardboard.

Having been through a few natural and man-made disasters, SWAMBO and I are fairly well prepared for them, but we did notice something a lot of people overlooked. Having some cash on-hand.

Even stores and gas stations with generators depend on phone lines for credit/debit card transactions and check verifications. Case in point, several stores and gas stations had stuff, but they were cash only and with the ATMs not working and the banks closed, about all you could do with those little plastic cards, was eat them.

Along that same line, keep a stash in smaller bills, $100 bills are not always welcomed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
...I rode out Hurricane Camille in the barracks at Keesler, AFB...
'nother small world - my ex-brother-in-law (ex-husband to Huntington sister) ALSO rode out Camille, but in a 3rd floor apartment near the water. He told us that there was an old Navy guy on the floor with 'em who kept saying, "I've seen alot of hurricanes, but I've NEVER seen one like this." When the roof blew off, he covered his head with his fatigue jacket hoodie and prepared to meet his maker. He ended up getting funeral detail for the next couple of weeks.

He was at Keesler learning how to fix C-141 radar - ended up at Mcguire AFB in Jersey.
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Glad you made it thru the weather. I can't believe you even mentioned the other buggy but we all gotta pull together in tough times, even if it means we have to accept help from CCs.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds exciting.... glad nobody got hurt.
And golf carts saved the day, how cool is that?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Glad all is ok Johnnie. So how may times have you thought about your batteries Being off schedule during the power outage? Just asking cause that's the type of crap I always think about during hurricanes !
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO