lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default squeeky, back and forth play in both rear wheels, loose washer behind wheel bolt.?

2000 PDS stock I have been on here all day looking at rear end rebuilds and others diagnosing.. but am getting lost and am hoping for some fresh input.

Just got this cart, new to all of it..

Anyways I have been hearing a intermittent squeaky noise that I think is coming from the rear drivers side. Sounds like it is coming from the wheel.. not grinding, not clicking... slower I go the more I hear it. Almost sounds to my untrained ears like squeaky shock or leaf spring. So I put my hands on the rear drivers side tire and kinda rolled it back and forth and something is loose.. clunky. I went to the other side (rear passenger side) and I feel and hear the same clunk.. I also noticed that the rear passenger side wheel's bolt w/cotter pin has a loose washer behind it?

ps. I lifted the back seat and pulled the plastic motor flap up.. and It seems like you can here the clunk sound in the middle (motor/differential zone)??
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default Re: rear end , forward and back play

Hey GThomp, was wandering if you figured it out? Ive got back and forth play while moving my back tires back and forth and just found a loose washer behind the big bolt/ cotter-pin that holds on the rear passenger side wheel. Any advise or input is really appreciated.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
rib33024

that nut on the axle, need to torque the nut to 140 lbs and do not back off to get the cotter pin in, that loose nut will cause the hub to strip out
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

thanks, can a axel nut / cotter-pin become loose? or has somethan gived?

Started with a intermittent squeak like noise..when I move each wheel back in forth with my hands I feel a clunk and some play. That's when i noticed the thrust washer was loose.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Default intermittent squeak, loose thrust washer, back n forth play

This morning I was manually moving the back passenger side wheel back and forth while touching the motor and can feel the clunkiness in the motor which sits directly ontop of the diff. (the cart drives fine.. no slipage and no clunk sounds going in Foward or reverse)? So I guess I will try tighting the axle bolt that has the loose thrust washer behind it and see what happens?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: squeeky, back and forth play in both rear wheels, loose washer behind wheel bolt.

lawn

my 2008 PDS made some sqeaking in left rear..tires seemed to be tight..cleaned out brake hub good..sprayed silicon spray on leaf spring bushings...but I had the plastic dress hubcaps I think was the cause of most of my sqeaking..rubbed some axle grease where they fit to the wheel and think I have cured mine...since it is different than being in a car, you hear all kinds of noises.
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
rib33024

Default Re: squeeky, back and forth play in both rear wheels, loose washer behind wheel bolt.

yeah, you do hear all kinds of noise on a cart, that's why i installed a radio, and now i don't hear any noise but the music
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

I do have a radio ready to go! Crank it up! ;)

Well until I take a better look I wont know. There is alot of play and a clunk feeling when you move either wheel back and forth. The Axle nut is pretty loose on the rear pass side.

Just got a jack and am gonna dive in a littler deeper now.

Thanks for any and all input.
I dont have a lot of cash but i do among alot of stuff paint custom trucker hats and if i can donate to this forum in that manner let me know... I have already learned sooo much from this sight. I am new and have some skillz with tools..but I could use a lot of help (diagnostics especially)and living in the middle of the jungle here it is just better to learn what you got so you can just deal with it yourself.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a small bump/thump when on the road at top speed..I jacked up the front end this weekend and spun the tires by hand..didnt see anything wobbly..felt like the front right has a tiny bit of play..took off tire..cotter pin was there, but castle nut was almost loose enough to turn by hand..but when I tried to tighten it with cotter pin out, it wouldnt tighten enough to get it where I could put cotter pin back in..and it seemed to clamp down on the free spinning of the hub...so I put it back like I found it.
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Sorry to dig up an old one, but I had similar issues.

I have both the squeak and the clunk. The clunk turned out to be a (common) problem with ezgo brake hubs - the splines on the hub wear and cluck because of a sloppy fit with the drive shaft. The end stat of this is that the hub will lose all grip on the shaft, and, because we don't have limited slip differentials, that drive shaft will spin and the other wheel will not move the card. Had it happen. Fix is new brake drums. If you are unlucky, you will damage the drive shaft and have to replace it.

Take the wheel/tire, cotter key, and castle nut off. Grab the brake drum and rotate it smartly back and forth. Look for play between the hub and drive shaft (may need good light or a little paint or silver sharpie).

The squeak, I haven't found yet.
KY Gun Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO