lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Default Volt Meter or State of Charge

2004 E-Z-Go cart w/o any battery montoring. After reading in forum, it sounds like I should install a voltage meter vs. a state of charge meter to monitor batteries. Any comments? Thanks!!!
RLTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Volt Meter or State of Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLTexas View Post
2004 E-Z-Go cart w/o any battery montoring. After reading in forum, it sounds like I should install a voltage meter vs. a state of charge meter to monitor batteries. Any comments? Thanks!!!
A real-time digital battery voltage meter is the most accurate way to monitor battery state of charge. By comparing the voltage readings to a state of charge chart you can easily know when to head back to recharge, know if you have a battery problem, or know if your charger is working properly.
There are a few out there but none have proved better than mine. Click the battery meter link below for more info.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Here is mine which I got from Scottyb and added a rocker switch and SOC chart over the tee holder. I have read that the bar type SOC meters are often inaccurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdsdashclose.jpg (432.1 KB, 0 views)
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, looks good to me. Do you also sell wiring harness? Is installation fairly straightforward?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks, looks good to me. Do you also sell wiring harness? Is installation fairly straightforward?
IIRC there are only two screw terminals on the meter, "+" and "-". I wanted to turn the meter on and off so I added a rocker switch. So my (+) went from the hot side of the key switch to the to the rocker switch to the (+) terminal on the meter. I had a ground (-) from the battery pack to my lights switch in the dash so I tied the (-) into that. If you don't have a ground you will need one from the battery pack. Do not ground it to the cart frame. The key switch panel comes out very easily. Just punch out the center of the two punch rivets in the key panel and it lifts out. I think Scotty includes two rivets with the meter.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Great! So I don't need to run it directly to the batteries. That makes things much easier. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Great! So I don't need to run it directly to the batteries. That makes things much easier. Thanks for the advice!
Direct to the batteries is good, some carts have shown as much as a .5 volt drop in readings taken through the ignition switch.
The led meter draw is negligible, so constant on operation is not a problem, our test meter is still on 3 years later...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have a correction to my earlier posting. I just checked and I did not use power from the key switch to power the volt meter. I must have been considering that but did not for some reason. I did change out the key switch for one with lights. I am old and have CRS disease (Can't Remember Sqaut).

I ran two dedicated wires from the battery pack to the meter with an inline fuse on the "+". Running the wires is no big deal. I put the wires inside some plastic "split loom" then ran it through some pre punched holes in the frame and up though the front wheel well into the cavity behind the dash and attached the loom with a few cable ties. You don't have to jack the cart up or drill any holes. If you get the switchplate from Scotty after removing the key plate there is enough room to get you hand in the area and grab the wire.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
chad23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I installed the plate and meter from Scotty. He sends directions that are very easy to follow. Im Polish and figured it out.
chad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
I installed the plate and meter from Scotty. He sends directions that are very easy to follow. Im Polish and figured it out.
Got the same setup from Scotty and installed yesterday very easy and looks great

PS: Dont forget an inline fuse just to be safe.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO