lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
MotoDad7
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Gearing questions for 96 TXT

I bought a 96 EZGO TXT that has a problem with the rear end. Over the weekend I finally got a chance to tear it apart to see what is going on. As I was opening it up thinking that I was going to get oil all over my hands all that came out was DUST. All I could do was laugh, even my wife was like “what the hell”. As you can imagine I have a gear that is completely trashed and small metal shavings everywhere.

First question: What it the part number of the stock gear in the picture and what do you think the typical cost would be?

Second question: Since I have this torn all apart should I go ahead and upgrade the gears for a little more speed?

Thanks!!!

This picture is for everyone to have a nice little laugh.
MotoDad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gearing questions for 96 TXT

Unfortunately, it's likely the whole rearend is trashed. No oil effects all the gears and the inner axle bearings.
I opened one like that last summer, It wasn't happy until I found a used pumpkin and bearings to put in it from another fool who thought his cart could fly (broken housing)
So maybe you could find a donor like that?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad7 View Post
I bought a 96 EZGO TXT that has a problem with the rear end. Over the weekend I finally got a chance to tear it apart to see what is going on. As I was opening it up thinking that I was going to get oil all over my hands all that came out was DUST. All I could do was laugh, even my wife was like “what the hell”. As you can imagine I have a gear that is completely trashed and small metal shavings everywhere.

First question: What it the part number of the stock gear in the picture and what do you think the typical cost would be?

Second question: Since I have this torn all apart should I go ahead and upgrade the gears for a little more speed?

Thanks!!!

This picture is for everyone to have a nice little laugh.
Well all of those gears are toast. Best bet is to buy a used axle with gears and go from there. Stock gears are usually 12.25:1 so you could go to 10.1 or 8.1 the lower the faster. Just to update the main gear is about $300. Good luck and keep us posted!
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just curious what was the symptoms that caused you to open the diff cover? Slow speed? gear noise? I never ever had a rear diff with no oil so I have no idea what it would do or sound like.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
MotoDad7
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

After doing some more research & estimates it looks like the overall cost of all new gears, bearings, seals & etc .. would cost well over $500. I knew I was going to have to put some money into but I was expecting that.

So I would have to agree with scottyb & mtpolarbear, looks like I'm starting to search for a used rear end.

Does anyone know what years I could use to replace the one I got? I figure they probably used the same rear end for a few
years but I don't know for sure.

Sportcoupe: The main reason was that I bought the cart knowing that something was wrong with the rear end. Motor sounds good
while running forwards and back but the cart wouldn't move. So I figured it had a gear(s) stripped out. It had all new batteries
in it and I knew those alone was worth way more than what I paid.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

TXT 1994-2007 any drive system
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
TXT 1994-2007 any drive system
Scotty, those are all 19 spline input shaft correct?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
MotoDad7
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys I'll start looking for one of those years.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
MotoDad7
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for your help. I just picked up my a used rear end. I was able to get one from a local guy. I guess I'll just save all the old pieces for spares. Kind of excited to get it put in.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad7 View Post
Thanks everyone for your help. I just picked up my a used rear end. I was able to get one from a local guy. I guess I'll just save all the old pieces for spares. Kind of excited to get it put in.
Realistically you should toss those gears. As much metal dust came out I personally wouldn't trust them. Just my $.02
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO