lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Bray77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New batteries - cart won't drive

I just replaced all batteries in 2001 TXT Ez-Go this weekend and the cart will not drive. The reverse siren will stay on, which leads me to believe that the cart is getting power.

I have a couple of questions -

What should I check next? The cart rocks forward a little when you press the accelerator. And it sounds like it is engaging?

And am I risking the new batteries having them connected? Hate to ruin the new investment.

Thanks for the help?
Bray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Default Re: New batteries - cart won't drive

Sounds like something is wired wrong or wire not hooked up somewhere but I'm not a Ezgo guy so sure someone will jump in here and help you out soon until then double check all your wiring Good Luck..
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is the F&R switch a rocker on the dash?

Did the cart run before the battery swap?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Bray77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The F & R switch is on the dash. And the cart was running sluggish before the new batteries?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the battery pack voltage? (should be at least 38.2V for a fully charged new 36V pack)

Hopefully, you placed the Run/Tow switch in the Tow position before disconnecting/connecting any wires/cables.
Otherwise, the controller may be blown.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Bray77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB - I had the cart in tow mode while replacing the batteries. The batteries were in bad shape before I changed them and there was a lot of corrosion around them. I wonder if the battery acid may have shorted out a wire? I will double check me this weekend.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the pack voltage. (Should be at least 38.2V for new 36V pack)
Is the solenoid Clicking?

Jack the rear wheels of ground and put on jackstands so half ton cart doesn't run over someone or something!!!!!!
Measure the voltage between B- and A1 terminals on Controller.
Should be FULL battery pack voltage when solenoid first clicks and Zero when pedal is on floor.

Might be bad high current cables.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Bray77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohhnieB - thank you for the help. I'm a novice on golf cart repair, just FYI... The golf cart was my fathers and he recently passed away. He had ordered the batteries just before he passed.

The good news is I worked at golf courses for about 10 years in high school and college so I do know a little about carts.

When I press the accelerator I hear the clicking of the solenoid. The front lights were working and the reverse horn would work right after I installed the batteries. I let the cart charge for about 3 hours before I tried to drive it. Since I don't live close I unhooked one of the batteries before I left town. Hoping that nothing would drain the new batteries. The cart is turned off and still in tow mode.

How do I check the pack voltage?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The problem might be that the batteries are not charged.
They should have been fully charged prior to first use and recharged after each use.

The initial charge on a new set of batteries may take 8 to 12 hours, or more.
Also, new batteries need to be broken in properly to obtain their maximum storage capacity.
Here is how to break them in: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While on the website, read everything with the word "Battery" in title. Lots of good information.

You can download the Owner, the Service and the Parts manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the 3 .pdf files near the top.

You'll need a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter - also called a DVM or Digital Volt Meter) if you don't have one. An inexpensive one will suffice.

To measure battery pack voltage, attach the negative test lead to the negative terminal on the right-rear battery (Marked B- on attached drawing) and the positive test lead on the positive terminal of the right-front battery (Marked B+ on drawing)

Also attached is a chart showing State of Charge (SoC) vs battery pack voltage.
The voltages given are taken 12 hours after charger shuts off automatically.
For longest useful lifespan, the batteries should be kept at the highest SoC possible or practical.

As for disconnecting a battery cable: Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge up to about 1% per day, so they need to be recharged about once a month while in storage and reconnecting the cable every month might be adding extra wear and tear on the battery terminal. Just putting the Run/Tow switch in Tow and making sure all the lights and accessories are turned off will eliminate the parasitic drains.

As for getting the cart running: Let's get the battery pack fully charged and then we will proceed from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist - B+ B- connections.JPG (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Bray77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the help and I will let you know the outcome.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO