lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO wont go, please help

I have a 1996 EZGO SERIES CART. I have read through a few forums on here but I still need help fast. I bought a new dash for cart and while installing the key switch I forgot the key was turned to light position when I started to connect the wires to switch. I started with the 12v side first and i heard a pop at fuse block. I blew a fuse for the lights. I turned off key switch and replaced fuse and everything works great on the 12v side of the key switch. (IE turn key to lights and accessories turn on. My problem is this.The cart will not move in fwd or rev Also there is no rev beeping noise (there was before). I can hear a clicking sound at the foot pedal when in fwd and rev but can not hear a click sound at the solenoid. I do hear click noise at fwd and rev switch when I move lever. I have a battery meter hooked up as well. I have it connected to the green wire so when the key is turned to 1st position it turns on. now when I turn the key the meter does not come on (it did before). I disconnect the green wire from key switch and I can get volt reading (dont know what the reading is suppose to be but volts are present) but with green wire connected to key switch and key switch turned on there is no voltage. I also replaced the charger port on the cart yesterday (due to the housing mount was broken and couldnt mount to front of cart anymore). I read some forums and someone suggested the reed switch so I bypassed that by cutting the wire and connecting it to where the red wire is. I am getting 36v out of the charger ports. To me it seems like the 36v side of the key switch isnt getting power. Did I short it out or is it something else? there was power to the key switch and battery meter worked until I changed the charger port and accidentally tried to hook 12v wires to key switch with it in the on position (36v wires were not hooked up to key switch at the time). Please help
Frank_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO wont go, please help

Here is the diagram (I couldn't send in a PM) for the series TXT cart. You should be able to trace out the key switch power and see where it stops. Usually the micro switches pop when there is a short circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the diagram. What do you mean by micro switches poping. as in blown or makeing a poping noice? I do hear a faint poping noice when key is turned on. sounds like it comes from battery compartment. micro switch something that can be replaced? if i get no power to 36v side of the key switch but do get power to the 12v side of key switch (from seperate 12v battery) does that mean the 36v side of key switc is bad? i get 36v at the solenoid and I get 36v at the charger port but get no volt reading when the green wire is connected to the key switch. what is the voltage im suppose to read when reading the green wire?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

Ok now that I know its not the key switch (replaced it last night) I have come to the conclusion that the green wire isnt getting the 36v power to the (B) terminal on key switch. How I came to conclusion is I have a battery meter in dash. I have terminal #4 (on battery meter) connected to green wire to get its secondary power source. I disconnected terminal #4 wire going to green wire of key switch and ran another line to + side of battery #5 and battery meter lights up like its suppose to. So now that I know green wire to key switch is not supplying power where do I go from there? solenoid? controller? I Dont think its a micro switch in the pedal box because I can hear the clicking when I press the accelerator pedal. (again cart wont go in fwd or rev and no rev beeping noise (did beep before)).
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check MS-2 on F/R assembly, that is what feeds B+ to the keyswitch.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

JonnieB so if I understand you correctly (and looking at the diagram above provided by Scottyb) the blue wire coming off micro switch 2 which connects to the (I) on key switch provides power to the green wire on (B) of the key switch? if it is micro switch 2 how exactly do I test that to see if its good or bad?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

Im just throwing this out there and please tell me if Im wrong. could it be the solenoid? I dont think its the MS's (again could be wrong) because when I hit the accelerator pedal I can hear the clicking sound, when I move the fwd & rev lever I can hear the clicking of MS in both direstions. But I do not hear any clicking in the solenoid at all.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The MS can click but not work. The solenoid needs to be activated by a circuit which is controlled by the ms Johnny is trying to get you to put your meter on.

The micro switches are simple on/off devices. You can test for voltage in and out or continuity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

scottyb, where exactly do i need to put my meter to check the MS 2 and what voltage should it be putting out? Do I need to turn the key on, turn the fwd - rev lever in any direction, put accelerator pedal down? Thank you in advance
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

I wanted to thank all of you for all your time, help and advice. I got the cart going again. It was the reed switch all along. When I bypassed it the first time I didnt connected back up correctly. I really apreciate all of your help in this matter. The diagram really helped in my troubleshooting!! Again thank you guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO