lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
sfourtyfive
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 DCS 36v to 48v problems

Hey all, not new to moding carts but this is my first conversion, thought I was squared away but she's not running. Looking for some advice.

99 DCS (T/R, F/R by leg)
Before conversion running good with upgraded wires and alltrax DCX400.

Last night I installed 6 new 8V batteries & new 48v HD solenoid with correct diode and resistor.

Flipped t/r switch and got 4 green blinks then steady green. Plugged laptop into controller and didn't really see any changes needed under/over voltage was already at 22/55 figured that would be fine, may change later because new charger seems to hold the stack at a steady 57 while charging.

Closed the program and tried to take my first test drive.

Turned key to on, hmm, no click!? Put in reverse, still no click, press peddle and cart starts to move then nothing.

Seat off and I can see the controller giving a code. 6 red blinks, which is for under voltage. Start troubleshooting. Put the cart on jack stands and try to track down what's going on, I'm pretty decent with my multi-meter but I'm not having much luck.

Best guess is my "new" solenoid is bad? I'm not getting the "click".

But I'm worried I'm missing something else?

One goofy symptom is once I had it up on jacks, pressed the peddle and it actually ran for about 5 seconds and it seems like if I shut everything down and let it sit for a bit I can get it to do it again, but after that it'll just shut down and throw the code.

I'm leaving now to pick up a replacement solenoid, I'll swap out tonight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.
sfourtyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 DCS 36v to 48v problems

Don't replace the solenoid until you verify the solenoid is actually failing.
Likely the solenoid is not getting the proper activation voltage?
Put your meter across the 2 small terminals and check for 48v when you press the peddle.

The cart is running a little because of the precharge resistor. You need to work on the solenoid activation circuit to determine if solenoid is bad.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
sfourtyfive
Not Yet Wild

Too late

No worries, I wanted to get another anyway, if all goes well ill take two of the old 6v's and convert my PDS Cart also

I'll check voltage across the solenoid when I get out of work.

I was just reviewing my wiring sketch and I did the install just as it was before:

The solenoid is mounted upside down for access to the alltrax port.

Right side, big terminal:
4ga from Battery pack pos
Red 14ga wire
Red 14ga wire
End of resistor

Right side, small terminal:
Blue 12ga
Banded side of diode

Left side, big terminal:
4ga to controller B+
4ga to motor +
End of resistor

Left side, small terminal:
Red 12ga
Yellow 12ga
White 12ga
Unbanded end of diode

Sound correct, maybe I have the small terminals reversed, diode flipped?

This was a running cart before the batt's & Solenoid, there's nothing I missed in the alltrax setup program?? I didn't make any changes, it's set at ITS, w/ 1/2 reverse.

Thanks.

Eric.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
sfourtyfive
Not Yet Wild

Just to clarify the "too late". I haven't replaced it yet, just purchased. Didn't want you think think its still broke with the new solenoid.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
sfourtyfive
Not Yet Wild

After doing some more research online, I believe I have either the diode flipped or the solenoid coil wires on the wrong posts, not sure it makes a difference either way. But read a posting that said the banded side of the diode needs to be towards the yellow, red, white wires (for a DCS cart).

Let you's know how it pans out.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Banded end of the diode should be attached to small post with Red, Yellow and White wires. Unbanded end should be attached to small terminal with Blue wire.

Looks like you've got the diode backwards.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
sfourtyfive
Not Yet Wild

Update:

Reversed diode and Cart runs like a champ!

Just for reference, I did some before/after performance checks.

Top speed went from 14mph to 24mph

Short drag race (~80') showed 33% gain. Cart feels great, won't spin tires on pavement or pull wheelies, but very snappy. Word of caution to those going to 48, be sure to put select 1/2 speed reverse during alltrax programming, or ware a seatbelt, because of the gearing it'll throw you right outta the cart.

Also wanted to let others know, for a charging solution I picked up a 48v/25a charger on eBay for $250 shipped, came with plug end of choice, I requested ezgo and received one that was a bit different, I assume this was for a 48v ezgo and the plugs are a bit different. 36v has a squared off side and a rounded side, to insure the plug can only insert one way. The one I received had both sides squared off. Few min on the bench grinder got it fitting (and looking) perfect. This charger also does a desulfurization at the start of each charge, figured it was just hokey advertising, but after reading a bit online it may be a good option to have. I'll need a second charger when I upgrade my other cart, even though I'd recommend this one, I'm leaning to the $100 Stanley that Sam's Club sells. Be interested to know if anyone has experience with either of these.

Time to do the other cart!

Thanks for the help.

Eric.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO