lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Estimation of range PRIOR to battery purchase

Ok, i know Johnnie has some great charts to estimate your range with what you have, but I am looking to purchase the batteries and curious as to your real experience run time. I am upgrading from 36 to 48 Volts and looking at a couple batteries and prices. And i don't have the voltage drop to calculate.

I have one route that I would like to use the cart that is roughly 13 mile round trip, mostly flat, few rolling hills of all paved road.

I am currently set up wtih 23" tires, rear seat, Alltrax 500 set at 425, ScottyB solenoid.

I have found 875s reasonably priced and will most likely go with that, but in the back of my mind looking at the Ranger 160 and the new Traveler 8V.

My biggest real question is with the 875s will I be limping back to the house after the 13 miles, or SHOULD there be plenty of reserve if I decide to take the second entrance to the neighborhood type of thing. I don't know honestly how many times I will need the extended range, and the difference is about $300 for the set to upgrade.
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Estimation of range PRIOR to battery purchase

well like....I'll put it to you like this.....any time you are going to be buying batteries for your cart.....whether you are getting 6v batteries or 8v batteries....do yourself a favor and buy the highest AH rated batteries that you can afford. the more AH's you have, the longer the run time for a given cart/set-up.

I know I told you what I did....and although my cart is 36V, its lifted w/ 23" tires, running a 500A SPM controller and SD Solenoid, HD F&R switch......I get roughly 25 to 28 miles on a full charge. That's when my pack is down to about 60 to 70%. SO, in my opinion....you won't have any problem running the 13 mile loop and will have power to spare.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Yeah Nuke, I 100% agree with you and thanks, that is exactly the answer I needed. This conversion seems to be more expensive than my initial look. THe 8V AH upgrades are steep when comparing best price to best price. Literally to go from the 875 to the next cheapest that I have found locally is $360 extra, on top of having to buy a new charger too, so I am not sure the budget can take a $1300 + hit right now.

I ran 1.3 miles on my batteries last night and lost .2 on the SoC meter. I hate that little thing. I know it is telling me what I knew, but this swap is coming sooner than I had hoped.

I am almost thinking of looking back to getting the top AH 6 volts, but the 48 volts while it lasts is very appealing......

I tend to overthink things WAY too much on the front end, but once the decision is made, i tend to not look back.

Still not sure why I don't sell it and go back to gas, but I am hooked jsut learning all the new stuff. Electric upgrade most definitely = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I got about 20 miles actual with an almost completely stock 2008 PDS in Freedom Mode (No Regen) and ended up with a bit less than 60% SoC.
The only upgrade was 2 Ga cables and the six T-105 batteries weren't in all that great shape.

If the 23" tires aren't the low pressure type (IE: 8 PSI Max inflation pressure), the range will be about the same as it is for stock height tires. (The taller tires take more amps to turn, but the cart travels further for each tire revolution, so range more or less stays the same)

A 48V pack made with 170AH 8V batteries will have roughly the same range as a 36V pack made with 225AH 6V batteries, so a set of T-875 batteries will get you about the same range a stock 36V battery pack.

Unless the cart is a real amp hog, a set of T-875's ought to get you 13 miles with plenty of breathing room.

BTW: Higher AH batteries last longer (useful lifespan) because you don't hit them as hard or discharge them as far on the same trip, other factors being equal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

I have the 875's in my cart and I get 26 miles easy on a ride around the neighborhood. I live in the country so the neighborhood is quite large.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

I think I have found a Crown distributor that will sell me the CR-190s less than my local 875s.....

Fingers crossed cause that is the best of both worlds, more POWER and spending less...

Something is bound to go wrong, but it will be fun getting there!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Foot hill
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Any luck with the crown dealer?
Inquiring minds want to know...at least I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foot hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO