lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Default I have two EZGO carts...can't decide which one to keep

So I have two late 90's EZGo carts....one is a 99 Gas-powered cart and the other a 97 (I think) Electric cart with a lift and 23" tires. I have approximately $1400 in each cart and really only have room for one. Here's a brief description of each....would love other people's opinion on which to keep.

99 EZGO Gas
Subaru motor (believe it's the smaller one)
All stock suspension
Body in pretty decent shape BUT the motor has started using oil and has started to smoke a bit.
Difficult to start when warm and has also started getting oil in the airbox
In short....probably going to need a motor rebuild or swap
Decent speed...probably runs 15 mph (haven't GPS'd it yet)

97 EZGO Electric (36V)
Either a 4 or 6" lift
23" All terrain tires
Black steel wheels
Front metal basket
New cables (I believe they are 4 gauge but would have to double-check....larger than standard cables for sure)
Batteries test good
Charger recently crapped out on me
Overall good shape
Only runs between 9-10 mph (checked with GPS) but has a pretty good range

I like to haul the kids around the neighborhood now with the electric (wife also like to drive it on occasion). However, we have a large area in the rear of our neighborhood with Lake and River access. No ATV's or SxS's but golf carts are allowed. I fear the little 36V cart may not be up to the task. The suspension on it works great and can jump a small curb with no problem, I'm in Texas so hills are of no concern but the distance may become an issue in the future. I believe a 48V conversion would fix that. I do enjoy the electric for it's quietness and ease of use for the wife. However, with the charger out and since the batteries are pretty much new I'm thinking it might be the perfect opportunity to buy two new batteries, a 48V charger and the other items to convert to 48V. OR...should I just transfer the lift, tires, basket over to the gas-powered cart and give it a new engine?? The other issue I have with the electric is the speed.....9-10mph is simply not fast enough. I really need to be somewhere between 15-20 mph. We have a couple short runs in our neighborhood where I'd like to get on/off quickly as possible due to traffic.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYONE'S HELP! - Adam
67txcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I have two EZGO carts...can't decide which one to keep

The rear lift kits are different for gas and electric. So swapping the lift kit is not an option. The Ezgo Subaru engine is a one shot design - there are no crank bearings or caps, so rebuilding them is not a great idea in my experience. Upgrading to a V-twin is a great idea. Check with Carts plus Parts, a site sponsor, for package deals.

The 97 electric may be a series or DCS drive cart. Either one will do what you want to do. DCS will cost less to reach 20mph. Use the chart attached to determine which drive system you have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
cibach
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

just my .02

I have a cart one in my avatar .. it started it's life as a 95 gas cart stock motor.. I put a V-twin in it and ran 50mph and was quite loud .. it was really fun but with small children and a wife that wanted to drive could be dangerous and I had done too much modifications to it to be wrecked.. I have since sold the rear end and motor out of the gas cart and converted it to a 48volt PDS cart .. it still runs in the mid 20's mph and much quieter and safer (IMO) ..

each application has it's pro's and cons...

once again just my .02
cibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
rib33024

The electric cart is only good for around 15 - 20 miles before it needs to be recharged 6 to 10 hours, the gas cart will go for days
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The rear lift kits are different for gas and electric. So swapping the lift kit is not an option. The Ezgo Subaru engine is a one shot design - there are no crank bearings or caps, so rebuilding them is not a great idea in my experience. Upgrading to a V-twin is a great idea. Check with Carts plus Parts, a site sponsor, for package deals.

The 97 electric may be a series or DCS drive cart. Either one will do what you want to do. DCS will cost less to reach 20mph. Use the chart attached to determine which drive system you have
THANKS for the reply ScottyB. At a glance I'm about 99% sure mine is a Series cart but will confirm this evening when I get home. 20mph will be on my high-end.....honestly, if I could run a solid 15-17 mph I'd be content.

Glad you told me that about the Subaru. I was going back and forth on rebuilding it or just swapping in a larger, Honda clone engine (or such).

I'm honestly not keen on spending thousands on getting this one up to par. I have a RZR I seem to pour tremendous amounts of time and money into and would rather not start a whole different money-pit. I've enjoyed this electric cart quite a bit simply because it allows me to spend more time with my 3 and 5 year old. They walk outside in the garage and bug me till I take em riding.....I love it. However, as I expand my horizons (taking them to the river to catch some perch....5 to 7 miles one-way) I want to know my machine is up to the task.

THANKS again for the help
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibach View Post
just my .02

I have a cart one in my avatar .. it started it's life as a 95 gas cart stock motor.. I put a V-twin in it and ran 50mph and was quite loud .. it was really fun but with small children and a wife that wanted to drive could be dangerous and I had done too much modifications to it to be wrecked.. I have since sold the rear end and motor out of the gas cart and converted it to a 48volt PDS cart .. it still runs in the mid 20's mph and much quieter and safer (IMO) ..

each application has it's pro's and cons...

once again just my .02
I appreciate the input. The added noise (example.... a Honda clone swap) concerns me a bit also. The kids love to chatter about every bird, cat and dog along the way and, to be honest, I like to listen and laugh at the things they say. The stock Subaru gasser is plenty quiet but I'm worried the clone swap would not be. Still...the appeal of going as long/far as the fuel my gas tank holds is super appealing.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
The electric cart is only good for around 15 - 20 miles before it needs to be recharged 6 to 10 hours, the gas cart will go for days
Yaeh...15 miles wouldn't cut it I don't think. Wondering if a 48volt conversion could get me anywhere near 25 miles.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Looks like I have a series cart scottyb. THANKS for the drawing....helped for sure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO