lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Fishinbuggy
Getting Wild

Default New to Forum - Advice on '03 Club Car

I recently bought (reasonable price) a 2003 CC that basically needs all new electrical components. It was involved in a flood. My original plan was to put a tweaked motor in it along with the necessary upgraded parts but have quickly realized that it might be a very long term project if I go all out right out of the box. Other mods I'd like to do include a lift kit, rims, tires, dash, steering wheel and column etc.

At this point I'm considering getting some stock components(motor, motor control, obc, solenoid) to replace and atleast get it running.

I stopped by a cart shop today to see about pricing on parts and the first thing the guy said was I hope you didn't pay much for that cause your better off buying one already done. Thinking to myself if I had wanted one already done I would have bought one in the first place. The point is that I wanted to have a project that my son and I could work on a little at a time. He said you'd be better off scrapping it. He said let me show you what I'm talking about. He showed me a 2004 CC that had seen it's better day on the body and steel parts but he said the electrical system worked like a champ but not worth fixing and selling so he was going to scrap it for money. I told him that my body and frame are in really really good condition. So I showed him a few pics and he agreed that it was in good condition.

I asked if he'd be willing to sell his cart that he was planning to scrap so that I could salvage the motor, motor controller and obc from it. He said he would sell it to me for $200, but I had to haul the entire cart away. He also said he would hook it up to another cart to show me that it works.

My questions to everyone are:

1. Is $200 too much to give for this?
2. Is jumping it off from another cart enough to show that everything is in working order?
3. What is the practical life expectancy out of such compenents?

My thoughts are that if I do get it I would be able to do my other mods sooner (cause of cash flow saved) and then upgrade the motor and motor controller at a later time maybe next year or something!

Any help or advice y'all can give is greatly appreciated! We are excited to get started in this adventure!

Here are a few pics of my cart and the beginning of the tear down
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399589599.671070.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399589646.580124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399589659.973587.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399589671.296501.jpg
Fishinbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: New to Forum - Advice on '03 Club Car

Quote:
1. Is $200 too much to give for this?
you would be able to run it in a weekend if you got the $200 donor cart
+ batteries

Quote:
2. Is jumping it off from another cart enough to show that everything is in working order?
yes if it works on jump then parts work

Quote:
3. What is the practical life expectancy out of such compenents?
thats a hard one as we don't know how hard cart as used

all in all i'd do it
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Fishinbuggy
Getting Wild

Thanks Crash! Your answers are logical and what I had anticipated. Since electric carts are new to me I figured I'd ask all of y'all seasoned guys.

There are probably some other parts that I could salvage off the donor if needed.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
crash test dummy

yea if needed

one thing to do is grease the ball joints and repack the hubs , and clean the brakes
wouldn't hurt to change the transaxle fluid

how long was cart under water ?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the other 2004 cart runs. Switch body parts off the flood cart, put batteries in it and have fun!! $200 for a 2004 running cart,even if only the frame is a GREAT deal.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Out of curiosity...what did you give for the flood cart?

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I agree with these other guys, take the electronics from the good cart and put them in the flooded cart. Then you will have a nice looking running cart...
And welcome to BGW!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Fishinbuggy
Getting Wild

one thing to do is grease the ball joints and repack the hubs , and clean the brakes
wouldn't hurt to change the transaxle fluid

Will do. Gonna break the rear axle open this weekend to make sure there is no visible damage and just give it a general cleaning and lube.

how long was cart under water ?[/QUOTE]

I suspect a few hours.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

You can see a water line on the controller...
These sepex controllers bite the dust if you mention water around them..
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Fishinbuggy
Getting Wild

After looking at the other cart today, it has some significant rusty parts on the ferrous metal parts. It'll probably be easier to just switch the electrical over. Besides I have already cleaned mine up with pressure washer and have become a little attached to it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. And thanks for the welcome to BGW!

Another question: since I have the body off and everything broken down I was thinking about taking advantage of the space and access to the suspension and going ahead and putting a small lift on it. Can't decide between a 3" or 6" lift and what kind. Any suggestions? At first I was thinking about putting off-road tires but now considering an all-terrain. Not sure on the size though. Suggestions on those too would be appreciated!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car