lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
po-boy
Not Yet Wild

Default why not 36v light bulbs?

I am just wondering why ezgo didn't just use 36v bulbs in their carts with factory installed light kits so all batteries will be balanced and if anyone might know where to find a 36 or 48 bulb to fit the txt light system.
po-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
BeachBumTech
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: why not 36v light bulbs?

If you run anything other than lights, you would still need 12v. Why not use a 36/48/72v to 12v converter to pull across the entire pack?

There are plenty of 36v miniature bulbs available, I just haven't heard of them being used in a cart before.
BeachBumTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I run 36 volt - 55 w. halogen bulbs in my TXT fog lamp assemblies. Keeps things simple as long as you don't have any other power requirements. Got them on E-Bay. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
jay1028
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Before I got a reducer, I looked into the 36v bulb swap. For the tail and turn signal bulbs, the 36v that I found were way too expensive and found it was much easier to use a reducer and keep all the cheaper 12v bulbs.
jay1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

12v is cheaper and more accessible. Nothing like being on vacation at a campground that requires working lights after dark and having to wait for your 36v replacement bulbs to be shipped in! With 12v you just run out to the local Wally World or auto parts store and take your pick of probably 5 different brands of the same bulb.

Just running the factory light kit at short intervals isn't killing anything but it can take a toll over time and is more noticeable as your batteries age. I ran the 12v off of 2 pack batteries for over a year with no noticeable decrease in performance of the 2 batteries. If it is really a concern, switch the power wires to a different pair of batteries every month to balance things out.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ezgo did use 36v bulbs for a few years..... nobody liked it when a pr of bulbs costs $25 though.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
po-boy
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info and replies. I have learned so much from this site and had fun doing it.
po-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Mighty Mouse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If you really want 36v bulbs, check the forklift repair places, they are quite common in our industry. However like most said, they are not very economical. In the long run a DC-DC converter is the way to go. Just got my hands on a few of them (30-50v down to 12v) from a new forklift installation.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO