lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
marndawg
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 PDS Quits Running

2006 EZGO with PDS. I had not used for a couple months. Took out to use and ended up riding with someone else. Cart set unplugged for 4-5 hours. When I got in the cart to return to the shed it would do nothing. Next time I topped off the batteries with distilled water. Same thing drove up to club house rode with someone else 4-5 hours later cart would do nothing. I charged again took cart for a drive approximately 40 minutes and ran fine. Charged again. Used the next day for a full round. On hole number 17 cart just quit again. I can hear the foot switch clicking but that is it. I cleaned off batteries and charged again. I have not performed a diagnostic test yet. Thinking maybe reed switch on charger plug could be faulting? Its so inconsistent.
marndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 PDS Quits Running

You can try bypassing the reed switch at the charging port, two screws and you can get to it. That will tell you if the switch is bad or something else.
yellow36vpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suspect its a battery problem. Cart starts out fine and runs down soon.

Ideally you would have an in dash voltmeter and you could tell us what the voltage drops to when the cart won't go.... I think that would isolate the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Could be the reed switch.. bypassing it would be a good thing to try. Are you hearing the footswitch click or the solenoid? Batteries will not usually suddenly quit as you mention. You need to make a few simple voltage measurements next time it quits.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
marndawg
Not Yet Wild

Too all. Yesterday I was going to load it on a trailer and bring it home to troubleshoot. Cart would do nothing. I could hear the foot switch clicking but could not hear the solenoid picking up. After getting it home I tried it again and magically it ran. Battery meter reads full voltage. Ran it a while at home and never quit. I am now suspecting the solenoid. There is no reed switch. I checked and it has already been bypassed. I opened up the controller box and its as clean as the day it was new. No loose connections, no corrosion. I checked it again this morning and it ran find again. Its an intermittent problem. Battery voltage yesterday with full charge was 38 volts. Today without charging over night it is 37.6 volts. I did run a for a while yesterday so that explains the small drop in volts. Again I suspect its possibly the foot switch even though I hear it click it may not be making a good connection or the possibly the solenoid. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A short drive and sitting overnight shouldn't drop the pack to 80% SoC, so it sounds like your battery pack is sick. (Attached is a Voltage vs SoC chart)

However, you may have other problems also.

Try putting controller in diagnostic mode, the text at the bottom attached label explain how.

It might give you a beep code telling you what the controller thinks is wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

johnnieB is expert. He knows these things inside out.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
marndawg
Not Yet Wild

The intermittent problem has not reared its head again. I drove it last night for more than an hour and a half and not one issue. The battery pack is fine. All voltages are within range and each battery is good... Not understanding how quickly batteries can recover from being filled with water. The levels were not below the plates when I added water but it seems that after I filled the batteries to their proper level using a fill bottle is when the issue began. I charged batteries again last night and are now at 38.6 volts. This is the 3rd charge since filling the batteries. I ran a diagnostic test and only hear 1 beep telling me its all terrain and no fault codes followed.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since an intermittent problem cannot be found when it isn't occurring, they are exasperating.

Also, adding water to a battery can cause it to act strange for a cycle or two.

Only add water (Distilled water only) to fully charged batteries unless the plates are exposed, then only add enough water to cover plates and charge before filling to proper level.

Adding water dilutes the electrolyte a bit, lowering the SG, so they are no longer fully charged and need to be charged some more.

I unplug my charger (it float charges) while adding water, but plug it back in after topping off the cells, initiating a regular charger cycle.

--------
Something nobody has mentioned is the in-line connector between the controller and box under the floor board containing the pedal microswitch and ITS sensor. Its contacts get corroded and cause intermittent problems.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
marndawg
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks for all the help. I'll check the connector. If something happens or the problem shows back up I will post and keep trying to figure this out and let you know what it was. Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO