lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: #1 battery loses charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by remac View Post
There must be something else attached to #1 or cart wouldn't run.
I wondered about that also, then I remembered the charge cables were connected to the solenoid and controller on some early carts.

Here's a schematic for a 94/95 Medalist series cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 949536v.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On my 95 medalist, there was no "extra" wire on the positive of #1 battery. Only the cable going to the solenoid.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As mentioned the charge wires should be connected to #1 and #6.

If not then that could be the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After charging, measure individual battery voltages. Then disconnect all wires from battery #1 positive and negative posts and let set a day and make another measurement of individual batteries. Does #1 battery voltage still drop? I bet it will.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What you have to remember is it is not Battery #1 we are talking about it's battery position #1 in question.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Unhappy Re: #1 battery loses charge

OK guys...here we go...It was requested that I charge the batteries, let sit for 12 hours, check voltage, drive for a mile, let it set for 12 hours, let it sit for 12 then check voltage again...I did the test but due to the time I had today I cut the hours. After this reading, if necessary I will do the complete test this weekend...
I put cart on charge last night and this morning went and got one of my new batteries and put it in the #1 position, then charged the cart for 4 more hours. It then set for about 6 hours and I took the following reading.(the charger was still going when I unplugged it)
Pack 38.4 #1 was 6.43 #2 was 6.49 #3 was 6.41 #4 was 6.35 #5 was 6.43 #6 was 6.63

I then drove it for about a mile, let it set for about 2 hours and took the following readings.
Pack was 37.5 #1 was 6.18 #2 was 6.34 #3 was 6.30 #4 was 6.27 #5 was 6.29 #6 was 6.29

As you can see the battery in position #1 drops more than the others..

To answer some of the other questions asked...
I built this cart from three different carts...94 97 and 2000. Basics are a 94 medalist..
The above test was done with lights and horn disconnect.
The only other wire was from the #1 positive to F/R switch,, which makes it hot, the reed switch was disconnected.
In 94/95 the charger went to the solenoid and controller, not to battery 1 and 6.
This is 36 volt using a schauer charger that works fine on my other cart
Cart was built about 4 months ago and has been running fine. I did notice over time I had to charge the cart more often and has gotten worst in the past couple weeks at which time I noticed the #1 battery low.
The motor, F/R, and controller are from the 94 medalist....The charger receptical is from a 2000

I think I have answered all the questions but will go back and check..

OK waiting on my buddies ..
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #27
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Swap position of batteries in position one and two and repeat tests. There is no logical explanation of why any battery in position one should consistently act different than the others.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #28
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I agree radioman,...which brings me back to my earlier post in this thread...Could a short or partial short or maybe bad brushes in the motor cause this problem...Just make sense to me that if there was some sort of short that it would draw enough voltage before the batteries can equalize..Keep in mind that after sitting for a period of time the batteries do equalize. With the voltage leaving the pack through the #1 battery it makes sense that that batter would be the lowest.

Continuity test shows the motor good but could be something that only shorts while moving....I don't know....just the only thing I can think off...

I will put new batteries in this weekend and post the results...
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #29
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseadad View Post
I agree radioman,...which brings me back to my earlier post in this thread...Could a short or partial short or maybe bad brushes in the motor cause this problem...Just make sense to me that if there was some sort of short that it would draw enough voltage before the batteries can equalize..Keep in mind that after sitting for a period of time the batteries do equalize. With the voltage leaving the pack through the #1 battery it makes sense that that batter would be the lowest.

Continuity test shows the motor good but could be something that only shorts while moving....I don't know....just the only thing I can think off...

I will put new batteries in this weekend and post the results...
Unless there is some external load across individual batteries (like a 12volt tap) you must understand that the same current flows through each battery in series during charging or discharging regardless of the terminal voltage or its location in the pack. There is no way one battery should respond differently because of its location other than some environmental condition surrounding it. If you would swap batteries as I suggested above it would prove or disprove my point. The lower voltage battery in position one when swapped with position two should remain lowest voltage in new number two position.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When you replaced position one battery with a new battery, the voltage of the new battery will be different than the rest in the bank and may be lower until it gets conditioned. Possibly the pack voltage increased to the point the charger cut off and the new battery is not fully charged.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO