lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default EZGO MPT 800, stumped

Hey guys,

I mainly work on gas carts but I recently inherited a EZGO MPT 800 36v cart. Cool cart with an electric dump bed that the kid loves. No serial plate in the glove box but from doing some snooping around here it looks like i have 2009 cart with a PDS system.

When I hit the "gas" pedal the cart barely crawls and sounds like something is almost grinding or dragging.

Then stops and I can here the solenoid click but then immediately click off. Took off the solenoid and it checked out good

Hooked up the battery pack my multimeter but for some reason the readings are way off. Was reading 56V at the battery pack. Took a reading from a known good 12v battery laying around and it was reading 18V. So looks like I need to pick up a new multimeter this afternoon...

I also jacked the cart up and checked the brakes and everything seems to move freely.

Lastly I swapped batteries with a friends cart and that did nothing either...

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to look next.
ferdabutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default Re: EZGO MPT 800, stumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdabutt View Post
Hey guys,

I mainly work on gas carts but I recently inherited a EZGO MPT 800 36v cart. Cool cart with an electric dump bed that the kid loves. No serial plate in the glove box but from doing some snooping around here it looks like i have 2009 cart with a PDS system.

When I hit the "gas" pedal the cart barely crawls and sounds like something is almost grinding or dragging.

Then stops and I can here the solenoid click but then immediately click off. Took off the solenoid and it checked out good

Hooked up the battery pack my multimeter but for some reason the readings are way off. Was reading 56V at the battery pack. Took a reading from a known good 12v battery laying around and it was reading 18V. So looks like I need to pick up a new multimeter this afternoon...

I also jacked the cart up and checked the brakes and everything seems to move freely.

Lastly I swapped batteries with a friends cart and that did nothing either...

Can anyone give me some pointers on where to look next.
It sounds like you may have a stripped hub. Check the driver side, thats usually the one thst strips first. Jack the cart up and run it, it might spin ok. But if you can apply pressure and stop it or keep it from spinning, you may have confirmed your issue.
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ill give it a try.

Would that cause the solenoid to click on/off? Wouldn't it just keep spinning?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Quote:
Ill give it a try.

Would that cause the solenoid to click on/off? Wouldn't it just keep spinning?
I must have missed that part of your story. I'm not sure about that. Its possible the controller senses an issue and shuts it down, but I would prefer someone who knows better to answer that.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

After doing some reading here, others have mentioned a 'bearing encoder".

After looking at the parts diagram, the motor doesn't look like it has a bearing encoder but there is a speed sensor is on the end of the motor. Could this be an issue or is that an older cart problem?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Quote:
After doing some reading here, others have mentioned a 'bearing encoder".

After looking at the parts diagram, the motor doesn't look like it has a bearing encoder but there is a speed sensor is on the end of the motor. Could this be an issue or is that an older cart problem?
I've heard of bearing encoders on motors for RXV carts, but not on PDS. PDS carts do have a speed sensor on the end of the motor, and may cause the solenoid clicking issues, still not sure, but I don't think it would cause the grinding noise. The speed sensor is cheap and easy to replace, but I'd still check that hub too.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jack it up and pull the wheels. Push the go pedal while holding the brake. Have someone look to see if the center castle nut is spinning but the hub is not. If yes, stripped hub. If not something inside let go.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well I did what you guys suggested. Jacked up the rear end, applied the brakes and gas. No spinning hubs... Blocked one wheel and held the other wheel with my hands. No grinding noise but definitely not much powe. Must be a connection issue, controller or motor it self....
Old 12-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Also I removed the differential cover. Nothing obvious jumped out at me and everything looked to be in good condition.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your voltmeter just needs a new battery. That's exactly how they act when the battery in the meter is shot.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO