lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2003 txt stutter and smells hot

My TXT has had a slight raspy noise coming from the rearend or motor for the past couple of months. I figured it was a rearend bearing going bad as was going to replace it on a rainy day.

We were out golfing today and noticed that the cart didn't seem to be getting up to speed and smelled hot right before I parked it. Full throttle made it seem worse and it would stutter when trying to take off from a dead start.

The batteries, cables, controller were all cool the touch. The motor was pretty hot, but this is the first time I crawled under the cart and felt the motor mid round. I'm not sure how hot it should normally be.

I think it is a brush issue with the motor (original motor from 2003). Looking for advice from others who have been in this boat...

Thanks for any input.
mycamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2003 txt stutter and smells hot

It could be a number of things, including motor brushes. Did you check all the cables around the controller, motor, and FNR switch? Usually if it smells melted it is a cable. But there are always exceptions…
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 txt stutter and smells hot

I checked all the cables and connections by feeling each connection. They all felt cool. All connections are tight.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 17 year old motor more than likely needs new brushes and a new bearing as well as a thorough cleaning inside and out.

While you have the motor off, check the input gear for wear and replace input shaft bearings.

Change oil in differential also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I pulled the motor.
It is definitely the brushes. The question is, look at the commutator in the picture below. The brushes have worn a groove. I question if new brushes will save this motor. What do you experts think..?

My bad on this one...I should have been more proactive. My plan was to disassemble the cart one of these winters and re-wire and repair as needed. Since we have mild winters now, golfing takes me away from preventative maintenance.

BTW, I have a fairly new Alltrax controller and the batteries are only 2 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200301_165625.jpg (152.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200301_165915.jpg (209.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I went ahead and ordered a new motor. Buggies unlimited had a leap year 10% off sale that ends today. Rather than trying to save this motor, I'll let it RIP after 17 years of hard service.

I don't need a fancy high HP motor. Just one that will get me 36 holes on one charge.

Lesson learned on this one..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO