lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Can I put a 48v battery from a wrecked Honda Hybrid in my golf cart?

I am brand new to electric golf carts, but I just purchased a 2001 Western, which I believe is just an EZGO, and I want to replace the batteries with lithium ion...which I'm seeing are very expensive.

So I found a 48v 1.22kwh battery that came out of a wrecked 2018 Honda hybrid for pretty cheap compared to "golf cart LI batteries".

Why won't this work or will it?

ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I put a 48v battery from a wrecked Honda Hybrid in my golf cart?

Don't know much of anything about Li battery packs, chargers or BMS systems, but my calculator says a 1.22kWh 48V battery pack is only about 25AH and the Li packs put together by most cart owners have several times that storage capacity.

Four or more in parallel might work, but there are charging issues to be solved.

Of course, I might be wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will drop in.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can I put a 48v battery from a wrecked Honda Hybrid in my golf cart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Don't know much of anything about Li battery packs, chargers or BMS systems, but my calculator says a 1.22kWh 48V battery pack is only about 25AH and the Li packs put together by most cart owners have several times that storage capacity.

Four or more in parallel might work, but there are charging issues to be solved.

Of course, I might be wrong, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will drop in.
I think the battery must be smaller than I'm imagining. I thought it was roughly the size of 3 12v car batteries, but I was told that a bunch of those hookup together, and it's probably much smaller than I thought.

For $270 on eBay, I was thinking it would be a steal if it was the same as 3 LI ones...sounds like this is a futile effort.

I'm still reading up on batteries, but I see you're sort of the battery wiz on the forum...if you have any suggestions for a brand/website to buy those are welcome, but I'm still reading if not.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My golf cart battery knowledge is more or less limited to the lead-acid type.

You'd probably get more responses in the Lithium EZGO forum: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Spot on Johnnie. The smallest packs people have installed are around 50 Ah and those people either have odd use cases, are disappointed with the pack performance or increase the capacity later to closer to 100Ah.

The most common size packs are 100Ah, some people put in far larger packs.

A 25Ah pack would likely function, but you will not get more range nor will you get extra speed. Your Lead Acid batteries are around 50.4v when fully charged and around 48v when dead. If you start at 48V for a fully charged lithium pack it'll have a top speed that is less than a fully charged lead acid pack.

I use a 58v pack as do the vast majority of lithium conversions. The extra V gives me extra speed and my stock 48v controller worked fine on 58v then I upgraded to an Alltrax controller later, but my original controller still worked fine.

There are a lot of threads on this in the EZGO Lithium sub forum.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There is no lithium option for ~$250 that can replace it's original pack safely & deliver the range near the lead battery setup. Sorry. But even if you did lithium, it will require a battery management system in addition to the cells (unless 1 year life is ok, while risking burning your house down). I've had a house fire, and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. (Let's send them crabs instead)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO