lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
13rxvrookie
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 Rxv controller dead?!?

Started having an issue with the cart not moving. When key on I get reverse buzzer and 2 clicks. Checking voltage from the curtis controller and here is what I got:
B+=51.2V
W=25.2V
V=25.2V
U=25.2V
RES=51.2V
Is this correct or should the controller be getting more voltage? I'm at a lost and have tried numerous things ie. New electric brake, pulled back brake and gas pedal. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
13rxvrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2020, 04:23 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2013 Rxv controller dead?!?

First, dismiss the WVU readings. Not even relevant. The controller does checks to see if its "qualified to go" and that's what's failing. Theres no "cheat" around that. I guess those readings indicate "it might make power""⁸lllllllll.9k⁹Q Qlllllmkk Q,
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
13rxvrookie
Not Yet Wild

Well that's a good feeling then, was looking at the controllers and they are not cheap!$! I have a running 2009 Rxv at the house, I guess my next step should be to pull the brake switch and accelerator switch out of it and see if that will fix it???
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rxvrookie View Post
Well that's a good feeling then, was looking at the controllers and they are not cheap!$! I have a running 2009 Rxv at the house, I guess my next step should be to pull the brake switch and accelerator switch out of it and see if that will fix it???
If you're going to swap parts I would try the motor brake first. Make sure the bolts aren't damaged or corroded. Make sure you don't over tighten the bolts (50 in/lbs) and that the brake is released (run/tow switch in tow and key switch in N) when you tighten them.

If you were noticing a burning smell before the cart quit working or the brake wouldn't release with the run/tow switch you probably have a brake problem. Having to turn the key on and off a few times to get the cart to work can also indicate a brake problem.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
13rxvrookie
Not Yet Wild

I was thinking the same also, I pulled the brake off of my 09 RXV (drives perfectly fine) and installed it on my 13 and it still does not move. I installed the brake off of the 13 onto the 09 and it works fine. So that is what made me start looking at other options.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
13rxvrookie
Not Yet Wild

Just put new brake on, while key in "N" and in tow before torque (50in#'s) cart will still stay locked. When tighten to correct torque, then key off and put back in run still will not move. I changed the accelerator pedal switch today also and still will not move. Not sure what else to check...Has anyone else had this issue before....I'm beyond stumped on this one. Please someone send me some info lol
Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Does the brake release if you swap the plugs under the controller cover? If it does I would loosen and re torque the brake bolts with it released. If the brake doesn't release with the run/tow switch it may not have been aligned when you tightened it. I'm sure that won't make a difference in the cart running or not but you need to make sure the brake is aligned so it won't be damaged when you get it running.

You could try swapping the solenoid from your 2009 to see if that makes a difference. I think the solenoids are mounted differently but you should be able to hook it up for a test.

The only other things I can think of are check the run plug under the cup holder, check the fuses and check for damaged wires. The last time my cart wouldn't run a mouse had chewed through the brake wires. There was a post from someone who had a damaged connector for the brake.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
13rxvrookie
Not Yet Wild

The brake does release when switching the plugs. I tried that just now and noticed that my brake becomes a big magnet, is this normal? After realignments and torqued back down, while plugs switched. It still does not release while in "N" and in tow, still will not move in run either.
I have bought two new solenoids and still will not budge witheither. I pulled the plug under dash out of my 09 RXV (runs great) and switched them into the 13 RXV and still nothing. I put the plug from the 13 (stuck RXV) into the 09 and it runs and moves fine. So that plug should be okay I would think??
I will check wiring tomorrow, but no signs of mice/rats as this cart is garage kept.
Truly appreciate the input and giving me options to look into.
I am tempted to put the Nivitas 440 controller on it, do you think that would fix this problem??
Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If not already tested, check for power on the blue wire coming off the charge port when charger not connected (and blue wire not connected to cart). If none found, charge port failed. That will cause cart to not run & not unlock in tow, because it thinks charger is connected.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:37 PM   #10
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The brake uses an electromagnet to release the brake. The brake operates more like a clutch than a normal brake. It has a pressure plate with springs that hold it against the disc. The disc is clamped between the pressure plate and the body of the brake. When the magnet is on it pulls the pressure plate away from the disc. Then the disc can rotate with the motor. The brake is either on or off and is only used as a parking or emergency brake. All normal braking is done with the motor. When you swap the plugs it bypasses the controller and sends battery pack voltage directly to the brake.

I think there is a trouble shooting guide but I don't have a link to it. Search the forum or the web and you should find it. You may have to have a shop or someone scan the controller. Unless you just want to try the Navitas I would try to get your Curtis controller checked first.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO