lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Convert 4x12V Battery System to a 6x8V System for '05 Precedent ???

you are correct.
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
wilmash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I changed my 04 over to 8v last year. The only problem i ran into is the lights will not work.. Blew all bulbs. There is a post on the bgw today about a 48v to 12 reducer for about $4. I am going to try this. Call me at 270 871 9250 and i will tell you how i did the conversion.
wilmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmash View Post
I changed my 04 over to 8v last year. The only problem i ran into is the lights will not work.. Blew all bulbs. There is a post on the bgw today about a 48v to 12 reducer for about $4. I am going to try this. Call me at 270 871 9250 and i will tell you how i did the conversion.
You blew all the bulbs because you plugged your lights in to the wrong battery. With 8 Volt batteries you have two options....

A. Voltage Reducer 16-12V
B. Voltage Reducer 48-12V

I'm guessing you either used B, or NONE...... and you hooked the hot wire for the lights up to the main power cable as if the car were equipped with the 48-12 Reducer, and sent 48V straight to your bulbs... BOOM! The wire should have been hooked to battery number 5
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Anyone making a pan to go with 8- 6 volt batts in the DS instead of the 6 8's?
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
wilmash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You blew all the bulbs because you plugged your lights in to the wrong battery. With 8 Volt batteries you have two options....

A. Voltage Reducer 16-12V
B. Voltage Reducer 48-12V

I'm guessing you either used B, or NONE...... and you hooked the hot wire for the lights up to the main power cable as if the car were equipped with the 48-12 Reducer, and sent 48V straight to your bulbs... BOOM! The wire should have been hooked to battery number 5
thank you for this information. i installed the after-market lights and i do not remember having an option. what can i do now to get my lights to work?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can sometimes get away with hooking them to 16 volts....they are just a bit brighter so get your voltage meter and get 2 batteries that give you 16 volts.........9 out of 10 times lights will work without issue.........double check that you don,t have a reducer on cart if your not sure it would be mounted on frame rail back behind batteries on drivers side..................also i have never heard of a 48 to 12 volt reducer for 4 dollars........if thats accurate stay away from it please..............a decent reducer is gonna run you roughly 80.00 dollars or so but its a good investment if your gonna add other stuff in future...........if not you can get by with running the lights on 16 volts.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

the $4 part mentioned is a relay, not a reducer.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
wilmash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jim.b View Post
I continue to read posts where members suggest conversion kits to enable someone with a ClubCar Precedent to convert a 4x12V system to a 6x8V system.
I personally went into a factory ClubCar dealer a few months ago who told me that this was NOT possible for the early precedent models ('04 thru '07)
which have the center console dividing the 4x12V batteries.

My batteries are in need of replacing (they are 6 yrs old) and I would consider converting to a 6x8V system in order to increase run-time. The dealer says,
"this is NOT possible." However, I continue to read posts which refer to such conversion(s) and conversion kits (for approx $345).

I would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who has actually done one of these conversions - a) where did they get the kit? b) how difficult was it?
c) is it necessary to change any other items such as the OBC or the controller? etc?

Any assistance, information, and/or advice you might be able to offer would be WELCOME and GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks-a-Lot!

jim b.

i changed my 04 to 8v system and did not buy kit and you do not have to change anything. call me at 270-871-9250 and i will advise.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
wilmash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i changed my 04 to 8v and did not buy anything. everything worked well.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #30
Lake Murray Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a '06 that was converted by CC. Obviously it can be done ....mine looks 100% factory as you would expect since CC did it. There is no longer a "center console".
Lake Murray Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car