lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
schankins
Not Yet Wild

Default What's wrong with my 1986 EZ-GO

I just got an 86 ez go. It works but is extremely slugish and can barely make it up a light incline. Also, it doesn't seem to be getting to full charge but i'm yet to test the batteries. Every place I call tells me I need to convert it to get a new motor on it. What should I do?
schankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: What's wrong with my 1986 EZ-GO

If it were me, I would take every connection loose one at a time and clean them real good with a steel brush and put them right back on. Then use some terminal protectant or wheel bearing grease. IMO the grease does a better job but it can get nasty while your putting it on. While your cleaning all the cables get a diagram and print it off and make sure everything is connected properly.

Its an 86....I beleive its a resistor style cart. Make sure you are getting full pedal travel...I don't mean the actual pedal but the throttle linkage.
Check the water in you batteries. Fill them to about 1/4 inch above the plates BEFORE charging. Use DISTILLED WATER only. If you have a bad connection anywhere it will not charge properly. How old are the batteries?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
schankins
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: What's wrong with my 1986 EZ-GO

About two years. It's running better now thanks. Tops out around 10 mph. I was going to upgrade to a 3 H motor to be more sutable for hunting out of but i'm waiting to see if my rear differential will work with the new motor. If not I some how have to find a rear end for an 86 that will work. But before I can have that motor I have to upgrade my resisters and solenoid to account for the bigger motor.

One more question. If I kept my original motor but added batteries to make it a 48 v, went to 4 gauge wire and upgraded the solenoid and resistors would that be better? Or could I even tell a difference as far as speed and torque goes?
schankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO