lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Switching PDS drive modes

I was switching mine yestrerday and you do have to turn it off then on. I did also achieve it by doing the diagnostic test and it beeped the correct setup and switched.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I like the momentary N/O switch idea.... I wonder if the key switch would do the trick, cycling it off and back on?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I have had some owner sware they can switch between mods but my 04 has to be cut off before it will change. Not neccsary to put in tow but the factory says so in the manual. Move the tow switch to dash as my harnes does. I have one ready to ship if you want one.
Andy- Already ran the wiring as part of a massive rework of the cart anyway. I ran 10 spare wires from the battery compartment to the cowl area ....just in case....

Scottyb- I found a curious thing happens when you move the FWD/REV to neutral. The power is removed from the ignition key switch, just as if you switched the ignition off and removed the key.....

Could it be that all is necessary to latch in a new mode is to move the switch to neutral, then back to forward? (after modifying the "chip" via a switch or other means).

I found this out (the power off via Neutral) quite by accident as I did a big change to the cart to interlock the lights, radio, and SOC meters to the Ignition switch.

Imagine my surprise when all the lights, Radio, and meters went off when I moved the switch to neutral! It was definitely an OH SHEET, WTF moment!
You can see my original schematic vs. the change to fix it below……I got it all straightened out. It could've been worse if I had reinstalled the front cowl.

edit: I had to redraw the EZ-GO schematic because frankly it made me dizzy...Schematics should flow left to right just as you and I read english sentences if they are to convey intelligent information...inputs on left, outputs on right......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-98.jpg (71.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-99.jpg (65.8 KB, 17 views)
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL! Inputs on the left . outputs on the right!? Remind me not to send you any of my cobbled up drawings

Made my chip today . Took a Mild hill chip and added the freedom loop through a simple 20a switch. (I know overkill but it was what I had on hand) the cart immediately recognized the switching of the Freedom (4 beeps) to Mold Hill (2 beeps) and reported them when prompted.... Testing was okay 15mph in MildHill and 20 in Freedom. But I had to cycle the Run/tow switch for the switch to take hold. SO for me... flip the hi/lo switch, toggle the R/T switch and Done.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
LOL! Inputs on the left . outputs on the right!? Remind me not to send you any of my cobbled up drawings

Made my chip today . Took a Mild hill chip and added the freedom loop through a simple 20a switch. (I know overkill but it was what I had on hand) the cart immediately recognized the switching of the Freedom (4 beeps) to Mold Hill (2 beeps) and reported them when prompted.... Testing was okay 15mph in MildHill and 20 in Freedom. But I had to cycle the Run/tow switch for the switch to take hold. SO for me... flip the hi/lo switch, toggle the R/T switch and Done.
Do me a favor and see what happens (if you haven't already) if you just set the hi/lo switch and cycle the FWD/REV switch to Neutral then back to FWD(no RUN/TOW)....My carts up on stands and batteries are not connected......

If need be I'll wire up the RUN/TOW to the dash.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay I'll try that later....
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Okay I'll try that later....
Thanks. I should have said that the KEY switch needs to be on too but I'm sure you already knew that.....
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #18
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Well I finally got my batteries reconnected and able to mess this myself. I am only able to change modes by cycling the Run/Tow switch.....

It can be automated electronically via just one switch, an "initiate" switch that would automatically cycle (interrupt) the Run/Tow signals for a couple of seconds upon recogonizing a change in the configuration via another dash mounted switch.

Not too hard to do but it's always a matter of how much time one wants to spend on such things.

For now I have a switch on order that would move the Run/Tow function to the dash but I might do better if I really get ambitious.....Depends on how long I have to wait for wheels......
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Well, it seems I'm on my own here.....Anyways, today I discovered that only one signal need be momentarily interrupted to effect a mode change.

The yellow wire (yellow on mine anyways) will allow a mode change.

When changing the "chip" setting, as in removing the plug entirely as I did, will change from "Freedom" to "all terrain" if the signal on the yellow wire is interruped momentarily regardless of whether or not the ignition is on, or off, HOWEVER there is a momentary loss of vehicle power (ignition) when interrupting this signal. It returns immediately after restoring the connection.

This IS NOT TO SWITCH FROM RUN to TOW but only to effect a PERFORMANCE PROGRAM CHANGE in the CONTROLLER.

IF YOU NEED TO TOW THE CART YOU STILL NEED TO PLACE THE RUN/TOW to the TOW POSITION!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS_Program.jpg (62.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by todo_brane_ded; 03-30-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: add schematic
Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Well, I continue to work on this scheme. I have added an Solid State Switch to modify the "Freedom" plug, or "Chip" wiring (see schematic).

I decided to impliment all possible modes because I don't want to regret not doing so some time down the road......

I'll have two rockers on the dash that'll set the mode (All Terrain, Mild Hill, Steep Hill, or Freedom).

Some pix's....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My_PDS.jpg (66.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1384.jpg (100.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1387.jpg (85.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1393.jpg (111.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1396.jpg (123.7 KB, 28 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO