lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1994+ axle on a 1991 Marathon? How hard is it to adapt?

Some of you might have seen my thread on the gear whine my rear axle developed. I got it partially solved by changing the input shaft but there is still some whine which is more than I like.

I either need to replace all the gears or find a complete new axle. Since they don't make new Marathon style axles I am faced with adapting one from a 1994 plus.

I have been talking to Imaginative Mfg about their two speed locking rear but they only have the 1994+ style.

Before I go spending a bunch of money on an axle I just wanted to know if anyone else had done this and how hard it might be? Are the axles the same except for the way the leafs mount?

Thanks!
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1994+ axle on a 1991 Marathon? How hard is it to adapt?

can you take a picture under the cart of the axle?
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is the axle

Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

1. You will need new shocks that have a threaded end to attach to the TXT axle.
2. Make sure the motor matches up.
you should be able to put the lift blocks on top of the new axle and use the existing spring and lift. If the donor cart is a series and has a good motor you can just use the newer motor.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool! That isn't too bad. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Take you motor off and ask the manufacturer for a picture of the motor mount, see if the holes line up. Also, electric vehicles don't work well with variable ratio transmissions, look at the tesla roadster, for example. It began life with a two speed rear end, but was discontinued in favour of a single speed. All other electric cars use single speed transmissions, including the Vauxhall Ampera/Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, Ford Focus, Smart ED, Reva G-Wiz (If it can even be called a car) Mistubishi i-MiEV, etc. Electric motors produce full torque at 0 rpm, that is how 1 speed 'boxes work efficiently in electrics. If you look at a gas cart it actually has a CVT transmission, like in some Audis, Subarus, Nissans, and Toyotas just to name a few, because internal combustion engines need to be at certain RPMs to make max torque, and work more efficiently at high load/low rpm situations. I'm not sure if a golf cart is any different because of the relative lack of torque. ask the manufacturer for details on performance.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thought I would update this thread for any of those who might be considering this. It is possible. I just did this about two weeks ago. I put a 2002 Ezgo axle on my cart and it works perfectly.

The newer axle is 2 inches narrower that the original. I had to fab up some brackets to move the leaf spring mounts on the axle outward. That was not too big of a deal since I have a lift anyway. I also had to install some 1 inch wheel spacers.

I will try to get some pictures of it posted soon.

I was able to use the original shocks and brake lines with the new axle. My cart has a lift but I think it is still doable even without one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO