lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Tail lights don't work

How didn't I see this coming...
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...precedent.html

I ordered a new set of tail lights and they do not work.
I unhooked the 48v brake light wire to prevent smoking these lights, and nothing is happening.
The front lights operate as they should but the tail lights don't.
I purchased a special LED flasher unit, which seems to work on all the lights except for the LEDs.

Any help here?
I tested the wires and 12v is being sent to the tail lights but they aren't doing anything.
Similarly, voltage is being sent to the turn signal controller light, but it's not flashing either.
The bulb is good and works in my Club Car DS.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. I'm pissed beyond belief at how badly I got scammed...
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tail lights don't work

. . . I have to ask the obvious . . . did you run a ground wire to the rear lights?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hhhhmmmmm.....sounds like something in the bucket harness ( ie. wiring harness for light kit) went bad. I beat my brains out one day building a cart from the ground up using brand new parts and had the same problem. Rear lights didn't work but front did. I changed out the harness and it fixed the issue. I know it seems like throwing parts at the problem, but if you know the rear lights are new and good, the only other thing it can be is the harness.

What caused the lights to burn up in the first place? A short somewhere? Its all in that harness or what feeds it (ie wrong voltage input from wrong battery)

As for the brake light kit, there are only 3 parts there. A switch, a breaker, and a timer. Sometimes the timer fails, but that wouldn't stop your tail lights (marker lights) from working. Those are fed from the harness.

Last edited by DJBlade; 06-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Adding more info.
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

When I installed my light kit, it was incredible how BAD the instruction were for the brake lights. It was certainly not "plug and play". The headlights and tailights were simple, but integrating the brake lights was not. I had to figure out which color wire was the hot for each light and wire them to the brake switch circuit.
It's basically a puzzle; follow the wires and figure out what goes to what, and you WILL eventually figure it out. It took me a good hour to figure mine out, but once you do it it's a great feeling of accomplishment.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Got it fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlade View Post
Hhhhmmmmm.....sounds like something in the bucket harness ( ie. wiring harness for light kit) went bad. I beat my brains out one day building a cart from the ground up using brand new parts and had the same problem. Rear lights didn't work but front did. I changed out the harness and it fixed the issue. I know it seems like throwing parts at the problem, but if you know the rear lights are new and good, the only other thing it can be is the harness.
Correcto. I feel so dumb now, the pin for the turn signal in the driver's side tail light connector had gotten pushed back into the harness to where it wasn't making contact.
I took a knife and poked it back in, now it works.

Quote:
What caused the lights to burn up in the first place? A short somewhere? Its all in that harness or what feeds it (ie wrong voltage input from wrong battery)
I bought a "Precedent Premium Light Kit", however, I didn't receive one... I received a bunch of miscellaneous golf cart light parts and a Basic Light Kit.
With NO instructions and all mismatched wiring, I had to test EVERY WIRE IN THE KIT to find out what it did (good 'ol guess and check).
I hooked up the entire kit and had one stray wire, which was supposedly coming from the brake light switch. Well, I never received a brake light switch, so I figured I'd hook it up just so it wasn't a loose wire.
... turns out when you turn the key, this 'brake light wire' pushes 48v.
Needless to say, 48v roasted the tail lights to death.
It was pretty cool, the entire lens turned black.

Quote:
As for the brake light kit, there are only 3 parts there. A switch, a breaker, and a timer. Sometimes the timer fails, but that wouldn't stop your tail lights (marker lights) from working. Those are fed from the harness.
You wouldn't happen to know where I could buy JUST the switch?
My 'kit' is 99% mismatched parts, so I'll have to rig this up on my own. I plan on wiring it to the key so the brake lights go off when the cart is Off or in Tow. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
When I installed my light kit, it was incredible how BAD the instruction were for the brake lights. It was certainly not "plug and play". The headlights and tailights were simple, but integrating the brake lights was not. I had to figure out which color wire was the hot for each light and wire them to the brake switch circuit.
It's basically a puzzle; follow the wires and figure out what goes to what, and you WILL eventually figure it out. It took me a good hour to figure mine out, but once you do it it's a great feeling of accomplishment.
Haha, you're telling me! My entire kit had zero instructions. The Precedent wire harness had a 9-pin connector, while the place it connected to had all naked wires... What a flipping nightmare!
It's taken me since January just to get the motivation to hook up the turn signal part of the system.
The headlights were Plug n' play, nothing else was.
I can chalk it all up to the dreadful company I got it from. I thought I was getting a good deal at $242...

On a side note, I much prefer these new tail lights ($45 from East Coast Carts if you're curious). They allow you to attach them to the cart with the tape AND provided screws.
I was always afraid of someone knocking off my old lights which only had tape.
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car