lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 2018 Yamaha Quietech PTV & Plowmans Performance Kit

I installed a performance kit that Plowman's Carts offers for a 2018 PTV Quietech cart today. It includes machining of the rear clutch, a new belt and a low restriction air filter.

I also went through the tuning process with Don on the phone. The process wasn't too hard and the most trouble I had was adjusting the stop on throttle mechanism on the bottom of the throttle body (it wasn't difficult, just hard to get to) and adjusting the valves. Don guides you through the process and you need to have all the tools he list readily available and have your cart pre-prepared according to the instructions they send. I'd say you need to have a medium + level of mechanical ability to be comfortable with the job.

The results are fantastic. The power level is improved on the bottom-end and the top-end. Don has you do a series of performance runs after the installation and my cart registered 31.7 MPH via GPS on a flat level paved surface. Don says that'll likely improve a little to the 32/33 MPH range as the belt breaks in. That's close to the same as my 09' G29 that I installed a Plowman's kit on years ago and is still running strong.

This is my third Plowman's performance kit and I've been pleased with all of them. This cart is still quiet as a mouse, but it operates smoother now and is faster as well.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
jstanfi1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2018 Yamaha Quietech PTV & Plowmans Performance Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflowe View Post
I installed a performance kit that Plowman's Carts offers for a 2018 PTV Quietech cart today. It includes machining of the rear clutch, a new belt and a low restriction air filter.

I also went through the tuning process with Don on the phone. The process wasn't too hard and the most trouble I had was adjusting the stop on throttle mechanism on the bottom of the throttle body (it wasn't difficult, just hard to get to) and adjusting the valves. Don guides you through the process and you need to have all the tools he list readily available and have your cart pre-prepared according to the instructions they send. I'd say you need to have a medium + level of mechanical ability to be comfortable with the job.

The results are fantastic. The power level is improved on the bottom-end and the top-end. Don has you do a series of performance runs after the installation and my cart registered 31.7 MPH via GPS on a flat level paved surface. Don says that'll likely improve a little to the 32/33 MPH range as the belt breaks in. That's close to the same as my 09' G29 that I installed a Plowman's kit on years ago and is still running strong.

This is my third Plowman's performance kit and I've been pleased with all of them. This cart is still quiet as a mouse, but it operates smoother now and is faster as well.
I know on my non-Quietech 2016 EFI, putting the unrestricted filter in the airbox and doing the clutchwork definitely increased the noise. You don't feel like it's any louder on the Quietech?
jstanfi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

It may be slightly louder with increased RPM's, but it's still a very quiet cart.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
TheAspec
Gone Wild

I did not notice my cart being any louder when I installed Plowmans kit, however, I just got around to removing the spark arrestor (recommended by Don) and it's now just a touch louder. On the flip side, it really helps. :)
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #5
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What does removing the spark arrestor do for it?
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Gets you a little more out of the motor.

The QuietTech is very choked off with all the noise reduction materials... removing the arrestor allows it to breath a little better. Same with Dons filter, less restrictive and allows a little more air intake.

The QuietTech is already running a quasi cold air intake because of the closed off motor bay. They feed air in by extending a hose from the air box under the passenger floorboard towards the front of the cart.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am looking at buying Plowman's kit for my 2017 gas Yamaha PTV and see that it includes a new belt, air cleaner and shows a clutch in the picture. Is this a new drive clutch in the picture or just showing a machined rear clutch? I see that it says to ship your driven clutch in to be machined which is included so you would have to figure in the cost of shipping to the total cost. Since the cost is $349 plus the price of shipping your clutch in this make the total cost $400 +/-. Is this correct? If it doesn't include a new drive clutch this price seems a bit much for only the air cleaner, belt and machining your existing rear clutch. If it includes a new drive clutch this is a better deal. I only use my cart to play golf so I may be crazy to even be considering it.

With the governor adjusted it currently will hold a steady 26 mph on level ground with windshield up and doors closed on my Door Works enclosure. It is a little sluggish with the higher speed rear end and taller factory tires than the local golf course's 2017 Fleet versions but that is understandable.

Thanks for input from owners of the 2017 and up Yamaha PTV carts.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
ADSFR075
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The price on the site is for your clutch being machined and returned to you.
ADSFR075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
ADSFR075
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflowe View Post

I have 2020 PTV Quietech that I'm going to do this same upgrade to. I spoke with Don today and got some general info. Can you elaborate a little on the tuning process? I have some mechanical ability, but nothing too extreme. Was just wondering what had to be done to the valves since Don mentioned, and more then once, that someone familiar with valve adjustment should be on hand to help me. Thanks in advance for your help.
ADSFR075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
PESCADO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I also just purchased a 2020 and would like to get it dialed in...

Where is the "spark arrestor" located?
How easy is it to remove?
PESCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha