lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
EZ-GOGO-EZ
Not Yet Wild

Default Just purchased an EZ-GO Xi 875

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/ <<< picture link of what i just got my hands on ... its an ezgo (cushman) truck. model XI 875 with Steel Curtis cab with removable doors i plan on using in my shop , may take the Curtis cab off and sell. so far i found that the tires are solid (as in filled with silicone or something, pretty heavy ) two of the six batteries are bad, the charger works fine as well as the rest of the electrical , even the wiper motor on the cab which isnt being used... the brake lights dont work which i put the issue being on the switch on the master cylinder..brakes need to be bled bad and fluid and possibly lines replaced in hopes that will free them from sticking so bad. . lots of rust, mostly on sheet metal , theres a few areas where just the coating is separating from the metal itself. its a work in progress for sure . cant wait to get it up and running, says its capable of 3000 lbs capacity . dont know if i would max that out but being the truck seems to be from 97 im not trying to either, at least not in stock form.

updates will come as im new to this forum and plan on using any and all info on this site as i can... thanks

Last edited by EZ-GOGO-EZ; 01-31-2012 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: to add picture
EZ-GOGO-EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
EZ-GOGO-EZ
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Just purchased an EZ-GO Xi 875

UPDATE: K, heres whats up i changed out all the 6 volt batts. and put in known good twelve deep cycle batts, and i got the wheels to turn , BUT..... very very slow and the brushes in teh motor were arcing/started to smoke and the wires had gotten warm. as all this was happening the solenoid started to get warm as well as start smoking. im a little concerned now. most all the connections/studs tend to have rust as well as the rest of the cart. im curious if i need a new solenoid or motor or speed controller, (im hating the thought of that) the speed controller is a curtis model 1205-112..... 24-35 volt........ 400 amp and the solenoid i cant really read its a paper label but trying to make it out i believe its a white-rodgers/? type 580-117111 coil... 36 volt... says " assembled in mexico"... the motor is a electric vehicle power systems inc. unit AU2500 fleet speed 36volt two part numbers 74124604 and a95-4006 class H serial no. 1735.. any and all comments/help would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

I don't think you can swap 6 volt batteries out with 12v and that's it. I think you have to do more than that.. hope you didn't burn anything up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-GOGO-EZ View Post
UPDATE: K, heres whats up i changed out all the 6 volt batts. and put in known good twelve deep cycle batts, and i got the wheels to turn , BUT..... very very slow and the brushes in teh motor were arcing/started to smoke and the wires had gotten warm. as all this was happening the solenoid started to get warm as well as start smoking. im a little concerned now. most all the connections/studs tend to have rust as well as the rest of the cart. im curious if i need a new solenoid or motor or speed controller, (im hating the thought of that) the speed controller is a curtis model 1205-112..... 24-35 volt........ 400 amp and the solenoid i cant really read its a paper label but trying to make it out i believe its a white-rodgers/? type 580-117111 coil... 36 volt... says " assembled in mexico"... the motor is a electric vehicle power systems inc. unit AU2500 fleet speed 36volt two part numbers 74124604 and a95-4006 class H serial no. 1735.. any and all comments/help would be appreciated
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
EZ-GOGO-EZ
Not Yet Wild

when i say i swapped them out, i mean , the 36volt is still there.... i have 3 12 volt batts instead of 6 6volt batts. this was just to test things, i dont even plan on using them for service... not worth the reduced runtime in my opinion. anyways i still have the 12 volt connection for the lights and the 24 volt connection that apparently seems to have something to do with either the controller or the solenoid because nothing would happen till i put it back on (after counting the 6volt batteries to figure out what voltage it was at, which was 24VDC) i probably should add that it was doing similar things with the 6 volt batteries EXCEPT the one batt was only getting up to 4.43 volts and another i believe "under load" wasnt performing either , so with reduced voltage i could barely get anything to happen other than watch sparks and hear the sizzle of the motor..hope thats a better understanding of what im talkin about...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Hopefully you didn't replace six 6V batteries with six 12V batteries.
If you did, you went from a 36V battery pack to a 72V battery pack and may have destroyed the controller, solenoid and motor, and are lucky it only smoked instead of catching on fire.

If you went from 6 x 6V to 3 x 12V you still have a 36V battery pack, but only about half the run-time. (Unless you used some 12V monsters that weigh 150 pounds, or more, each.)

Those old labels are hard to read, so you've got some numbers wrong.
Curtis 1205-1xx controllers are rated for 24-36V
The last 3 digits of the motor's E-Z-GO part number are "G04" rather than "604"
Also, the 3,000 pound capacity includes the weight of the vehicle and batteries, so only about half of that is left for passengers and cargo.

If you don't have a Service Manual, go to the bottom of the "1980-1999" column and download it. There are also parts manuals for it there.
http://www.bennettgolfcars.ca/ezgo_manuals.php

Personally, I'd start with making sure I had a 36V battery pack, then clean and inspect all the high current cables. (If the cables aren't at least 4Ga, I'd replace them.) Then start troubleshooting from there.

Hope this helps
John

----------------see You replied while I was typing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
when i say i swapped them out, i mean , the 36volt is still there.... i have 3 12 volt batts instead of 6 6volt batts. this was just to test things, i dont even plan on using them for service... not worth the reduced runtime in my opinion. anyways i still have the 12 volt connection for the lights and the 24 volt connection that apparently seems to have something to do with either the controller or the solenoid because nothing would happen till i put it back on (after counting the 6volt batteries to figure out what voltage it was at, which was 24VDC) i probably should add that it was doing similar things with the 6 volt batteries EXCEPT the one batt was only getting up to 4.43 volts and another i believe "under load" wasnt performing either , so with reduced voltage i could barely get anything to happen other than watch sparks and hear the sizzle of the motor..hope thats a better understanding of what im talkin about...
Sounds like somebody used a 24V solenoid instead of a 36V one, so the ignition wiring isn't going to match the schematic in the service manual. Hopefully, only one wire was moved, but I'd trace everything out just to be sure.

For testing, I'd jack up the rear wheels, (securely on jack stands) so the the system wasn't physically loaded very much, but not run it too hard while testing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now I've got a " little brother "!
Mine's an 881. These carts are beasts! I love mine, and yes they are always a project in work. They're easy to work on ( much easier than the standard golf cart ) and I see " JohnnieB " got you started with a manual! It'll take some time, but I would advise reading it entirely before doing work on the cart. Especially the safety warnings! This will get you set up for the test procedures and electrical layout. Enjoy!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
EZ-GOGO-EZ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Now I've got a " little brother "!
Mine's an 881. These carts are beasts! I love mine, and yes they are always a project in work. They're easy to work on ( much easier than the standard golf cart ) and I see " JohnnieB " got you started with a manual! It'll take some time, but I would advise reading it entirely before doing work on the cart. Especially the safety warnings! This will get you set up for the test procedures and electrical layout. Enjoy!
Hey Big Brother!! yea i like the idea of flip open the top and everything is accessible. right now its on jackstands, original CROWN batts removed three deep cyc 12vdc are in the tray now, the brakes need to be bled and fluid flushed among going through all other issues that are apparent or may become apparent. i JUST got it so i want to make sure its all good b4 i put it into service. but at the same time.... I WANT IT TO RUN NOW!!!! one thing ive been pondering is the solid tire... seems as if they took out the schrader valve and filled it with silicone then put the valve back in. i say that cuz went to put air in , removed cap and noticed "gunk" in the stem , tried removing, and it was "gummie" and no air would go in. , took the tire/wheel off and **** its heavy.... so i dunno what im going to do with that just yet, seems it would be more rotational mass to move IMO...
Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
cbordea
Getting Wild

I used to change tires around a paper mill and many of the service vehicles they had the tires were filled with rubber. We called them stay fills. They couldn't have the equipment down for flats all the time.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey Big Brother!! yea i like the idea of flip open the top and everything is accessible. right now its on jackstands, original CROWN batts removed three deep cyc 12vdc are in the tray now, the brakes need to be bled and fluid flushed among going through all other issues that are apparent or may become apparent. i JUST got it so i want to make sure its all good b4 i put it into service. but at the same time.... I WANT IT TO RUN NOW!!!! one thing ive been pondering is the solid tire... seems as if they took out the schrader valve and filled it with silicone then put the valve back in. i say that cuz went to put air in , removed cap and noticed "gunk" in the stem , tried removing, and it was "gummie" and no air would go in. , took the tire/wheel off and **** its heavy.... so i dunno what im going to do with that just yet, seems it would be more rotational mass to move IMO...
I love them! They don't even ride bad! Yes, they are heavy ( I found that out when I dropped one on my foot ). The only bad thing is I haven't been able to find a way to have some kind of grabby retread put on them. Mine have a standard cart tire tread, which isn't worth a doo doo in mud or soft ground. This is the main reason I love them:
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO