lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Old MXer
Not Yet Wild

Default Jumping 12V from 36V pack

I always thought I knew what I was doing but the years have proven me wrong more than once.

A few times I've jumped the boss's Mazda with the 36v cart ( because she left an interior light on) & ( because they sit next to each other in the garage) rather than to bring the truck within range.

I've always put one jumper cable on a batterys + post & put the other jumper cable on the next consecutive battery in the series - post. Multi meter shows 12V between those two points. I didn't disconnect those batteries from the rest of the pack. Never had a problem (except for one senior moment when I reversed the polarity. Scary. The good Lord gave me a pass on that one).

I got in a friendly disagreement with a pro mechanic about not isolating the two batteries involved. He says that the other batteries are still adding voltage if not disconnected. I don't think so, but I'm wondering which way is the correct way?
Old MXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Jumping 12V from 36V pack

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Would it matter if you were pulling off the first 2 batteries in the pack vs. the last 2 batteries in the pack?

I don't think it would, but what do I know...
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Many people pull 12V for accessories off of a single/first battery and obviously don’t isolate the battery. Those smaller electronics would certainly be more sensitive than the cars 12V battery.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6TBSS View Post
Would it matter if you were pulling off the first 2 batteries in the pack vs. the last 2 batteries in the pack?

I don't think it would, but what do I know...
Any 2 consecutive 6 volt batteries will give you that 12 volts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #6
Old MXer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the backup. I'll have another conversation with the mechanic.

Hey 2K6TBSS. I've done it both ways, & with the middle pair, just in case the jumping causes some additional wear & tear...

Explanation for the reverse polarity episode mentioned earlier:

I don't know if the battery positions are numbered, but I'll call the one closest to the f/r switch, #1. Battery layout = '98 TXT.

So, I was using #1 positive & #2 negative. Car started. Car died. I had already disconnected the negative jumper so I decided to switch to #5 & #6. ( The wear & tear thing.) Moved the positive over to the same PHYSICAL spot on #6. You can probably see where this is going..& did the same with the negative to #5. Proceeded to demonstrate lightning when I made the final connection to the car battery.

I've heard that sending plus down the negative side of modern cars can result in financial ruin. I totally lucked out.

Stuck a trickle charger on overnight & all is well.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

your "pro" needs more training LOL
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnegan View Post
your "pro" needs more training LOL
Whip out your multimeter and show him there is only 12v between your jump cables. Console him with the possibility of pulling additional amperage from adjacent battery but not voltage.
P.S. For better results use 18v when jump starting a 12v car
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Jumping 12V from 36V pack

Find yourself a new mechanic to while your at it.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #10
Old MXer
Not Yet Wild

This guy isn't a mechanic I've done business with, just met him & got to talking.

He said that years ago his dad taught him about the series hookup/voltage thing & the neccesity of opening the series & isolating whatever voltage you intended to borrow. Sooo, because of that there's no sense in arguing the point. I'd probably get a little defensive if some stranger doubted the hard earned wisdom of my dad. Best to forget it.

( Maybe he was saying volts but meaning amps....)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO